My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 421 Posts

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I might be jinxing myself, but who cares... Late last week I found this on Craigslist problem was that it was in Texas. Quick call to my sister and she offered to get it for me and store it at her house while I drive from Florida to pick it up.

I must have been driving her crazy by pinging her on messenger every day since, asking if her husband was able to pick it up. With all the rain, the owner has been unable to get to it. Earlier today I get a message from her that they are going to pick it up today (well, that should be right about now).

There were a couple of things that trigger the impulse to buy it...

First, we bought, what we think, is our last house (or at least, the house we will retire to)... small house on a 1/2 acre lot and I wanted to take care of the lawn myself. This meant that I needed a mower. So we got a 2021 S240 (Buying thread here)... Well, in the store they had this:

And I got hooked on the looks of that little tractor. As soon as I got home I started to research on what it was... so more reading here, in another JD forum, more watching YouTube videos... and I learned what RF meant... the years, the different engines... Downloaded the service manual, read some more, etc.

I am a sucker for starting projects, I have way too many 60%-70% there, unfinished projects... Fortunate that I have a somewhat-patient wife... I guess she lets me do all this because she at least knows where the money goes and can watch me work in the garage... I guess it is better than being out wasting the money in alcohol and hookers... anyway, I digress...

Then I quickly realized that a lot of people wanted these as well... this was reflected in the asking price I was seeing for them... anywhere from US$1,000.00 up to US$2,600.00!! o_O ... so the idea of buying one went out the window...

I entertained the idea of getting a 1968 squared fender 110 thinking that I could covert it to a round fender... Great feedback from here and a few searches done, convinced me that was not the way to go... So I kept looking in Craigslist via SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more , Facebook Marketplace, etc.

That is how I came across this one... Craigslist ad out of Texas. Looked complete (by now I had learned that many of the covers can go missing from folks selling those to make more money on the tractors... )

Condition is unknown... It is a 112, not sure if that is okay since there seems to be no good source for engine replacements... that is my main concern... I really want to fix it and keep it running... But I can't seem to find replacement engine (thinking worse case scenario)... Seems every other part could be found with asking here in the forum or some patience searching on other sites and eBay...

So being the eternal optimistic, I decided to start a thread on ownership and restoration process... premature I know, but I just can't wait to have it here... LOL

We head out to Texas this Friday at 2am to pick it up...

EDIT: For pricing reference. It was listed for US$450.00. Sold for US$350.00. And my sister ended up buying it and giving it to me as a gift...

Reactions: Merc1973

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,096 Posts
Aha! Another round fender addict-er- fan... yeah, fan... that’s the word! They are great little machines, I should know, I have five and a half of them (give or take...). So much history rolled up in these guys! Congratulations! And don’t be shy about asking questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts
We got you now; Deereholics Anonymous (DA) meets every Tuesday during site maintenance, that way we don't miss anything on the forum!

Congratulations on the purchase of your "first" RF! :) Can't wait to see the pics!

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We got you now; Deereholics Anonymous (DA) meets every Tuesday during site maintenance, that way we don't miss anything on the forum!

Congratulations on the purchase of your "first" RF! :) Can't wait to see the pics!
Aha! Another round fender addict-er- fan... yeah, fan... that’s the word! They are great little machines, I should know, I have five and a half of them (give or take...). So much history rolled up in these guys! Congratulations! And don’t be shy about asking questions!

Thank you!!! Brother-in-law just called me that he is there with the owner. I should have photos any minute now!! Looks like it is happening!!

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got a few photos.

Serial Number : T 2 314 - 014671 M

And two other tractors he had for sale

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
14,096 Posts
Hey, have him throw that 170 on a pallet for me and ship it up to me! Great little mowers! :)

So, good things I see, its got the PTO cover, the generator cover AND the steering wheel cap (all three of those tend to go walking on a lot of these machines). Only thing I see its missing is the rear lift kit, which you'd need for something like a plow or a rototiller (you'd need the accessory mule drive pulley for the rototiller). Looks like all your knobs are there too, which is good.... Lots of good foundation to build on. If you have any questions about anything I just mentioned, fire away!

Of course, the number one rule in restoring your first round fender is to find your second one you'll use for part.... I think someone else who is contributing to this thread pointed that out to me many many moons ago... Not naming any names, but his initials are PA...

That's how I came to have 5.5 round fenders...

The only parts of the 112 that are specific to the 112 are the motor (that Tecumseh, and yes, you're right, they're hard to find parts for), the PTO, the PTO clutch (both the PTO and PTO clutch are set up for dual belts to handle the extra-gasp! - 2 horsepower of the 10 horse Tec), the belt that goes from the variation pulley to the engine and (I THINK) the throttle and choke cables (I THINK they might be different lengths than the 110's since the engine placement is different). Otherwise, if you find a 110 somewhere that's a parts machine, jump on it... Oh right, the generator mount is different on the 112, some differences to the air cleaner because of the different engine.

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts
Here is the link to the 112 and 112H RF on the JD parts site. The exploded diagrams are very helpful in identifying things that are both there and missing:

John Deere Parts Catalog

Tyson, I think you'd already started collecting RF's before I became the corrupting influence that I enjoy today! :)

·
Super Moderator
17,360 Posts
Some links that will help you out with your 112RF restore

HAPCO BTW Hapco has new Production hoods for Your Round fender as well.

I got Lucky a few Years ago My Friend who retired from My JD dealer sold me his fully restored 1964 110 Round fender with Integral Hitch and deck Plus a UN-restored snow thrower also Has the OEM spring assist for the lift(y)

Reactions: wachuko

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you… I need to search to see how the hoods from HAPCO

compare with the ones from J&D Lawn Tractor

The idea of a hood already made in the color of the tractor is great. But I can’t tell which of the two would be closer to the original shape/details.

·
14,096 Posts
Be careful with buying hoods, as they differ between the round fenders and the square fenders. The SF tractors were about an inch wider IIRC, so the hoods from them don't necessarily fit. The round fender hoods have one hole for the hinge pivot, where the SF hoods have two holes where the two-piece hinge attaches.

That unpainted one is definitely a RF hood. That second one is not, I think.

·
Super Moderator
17,360 Posts
Thank you… I need to search to see how the hoods from HAPCO

View attachment 2507200

compare with the ones from J&D Lawn Tractor

View attachment 2507201

The idea of a hood already made in the color of the tractor is great. But I can’t tell which of the two would be closer to the original shape/details.
There use to be a Guy In Canada that Made reproduction Hoods for the RF & SQ fender and the 120 & 140( he Had over 40 JD's In his collection) it is a similar Product to the Material JD Uses today in there Hoods I have one for My 140 which is still in the Box But it is Nice because You don't Have to Paint it J&D Lawn Tractor I think maybe using his design But those are for the square fender 110/112 You need to Probably go with the HAPCO I Know there Made to the exact Deere specifications (y)

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There use to be a Guy In Canada that Made reproduction Hoods for the RF & SQ fender and the 120 & 140( he Had over 40 JD's In his collection) it is a similar Product to the Material JD Uses today in there Hoods I have one for My 140 which is still in the Box But it is Nice because You don't Have to Paint it J&D Lawn Tractor I think maybe using his design But those are for the square fender 110/112 You need to Probably go with the HAPCO I Know there Made to the exact Deere specifications (y)
Be careful with buying hoods, as they differ between the round fenders and the square fenders. The SF tractors were about an inch wider IIRC, so the hoods from them don't necessarily fit. The round fender hoods have one hole for the hinge pivot, where the SF hoods have two holes where the two-piece hinge attaches.

That unpainted one is definitely a RF hood. That second one is not, I think.
Good thing I did not order anything... I was looking at it via my phone... had I taken the time to read the description from J&D Lawn Tractors:

"John Deere hood fits the square fender 110, 112 and the 120, 140 Lawn & Garden Tractors".

So I will be ordering the one from HAPCO. I wanted to avoid having to paint it... I suck at it... Oh well... time to practice.

Thank you again for the comments... saved me buying the wrong hood.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So quick list of what I see so far that I will need to get. First the stuff that I feel I will need to get first to validate that the engine works:

Techumseh Carburetor Kit
Fuel Bowl Assembly (to have ready in case a new gasket is not enough)
Fuel Bowl Gasket
Air Filter
Spark Plug
Head Gasket Techumseh (I want to remove the head to inspect piston and valves)
Battery
Battery Cables
Fuel Line
Oil Change

Then... no rush on these:

Fuel Tank Cap/Gauge
Front Tires
Rear Tires
Tire Valves
Steering Wheel
Hood Heat Shield
Hood
Hood Pin Kit
Seat Cushion
Rubber Grip Kit
Tractor Decal Kit
Mower Decal Kit
Floor Mat Kit
Gear Shift & Adjustment Knob Kit (if I want those to look new... )
Ignition Switch (just in case it is needed... I can see from the photos that the key is there... )

List will grow once I get it home and can inspect it all...

·
Super Moderator
17,360 Posts
Good thing I did not order anything... I was looking at it via my phone... had I taken the time to read the description from J&D Lawn Tractors:

"John Deere hood fits the square fender 110, 112 and the 120, 140 Lawn & Garden Tractors".

So I will be ordering the one from HAPCO. I wanted to avoid having to paint it... I suck at it... Oh well... time to practice.

Thank you again for the comments... saved me buying the wrong hood.
I just rattle Can Paint Myself I am neater at that then using a brush. My wife Knows if it need's Paint to Call our friend and contractor Because I absolutely despise painting Never Can cut the ceiling in with a Brush only I worked for a friends Painting company for 2 weeks starting a few days after I retired from the Army waiting for the State Police academy class to open up I prefer Carpentry & Gardening as My other Hobby besides tractors I'll do anything but Paint :)

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just rattle Can Paint Myself I am neater at that then using a brush. My wife Knows if it need's Paint to Call our friend and contractor Because I absolutely despise painting Never Can cut the ceiling in with a Brush only I worked for a friends Painting company for 2 weeks starting a few days after I retired from the Army waiting for the State Police academy class to open up I prefer Carpentry & Gardening as My other Hobby besides tractors I'll do anything but Paint :)
I am not kidding, first time I tried to use one to paint a bumper, the canister was not secured, the paint fell on the garage floor and all over me... it was a royal mess... Then there was the fisheyes (poor preparation on my part, I know), paint runs, etc... I paid double to have someone remove the mess I made and then properly paint it... But hey, I will give it another try... I still have a new air gun still in its box...

As far as tires... reading a few threads on where to get those, seems Miller Tire or eBay is the way to go.

Deciphering the serial number: Tires current on the tractor are GT3 - Front 16x6.50-8 and Rear 23x8.5-12 - Both tubeless. Reading those same threads, the recommendation is to run a tube in the front.

I have to say, that for this tractor, and since I already have the S240 for yard duty, I would love the looks of a 3-ribs in the front matched with traction tires in the back. Just like what they did with this 110.

I just need to figure out what tires those are and if they will fit in the rims that I have...

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts
So quick list of what I see so far that I will need to get. First the stuff that I feel I will need to get first to validate that the engine works:

Techumseh Carburetor Kit
Fuel Bowl Assembly (to have ready in case a new gasket is not enough)
Fuel Bowl Gasket
Air Filter
Spark Plug
Head Gasket Techumseh (I want to remove the head to inspect piston and valves)
Battery
Battery Cables
Fuel Line
Oil Change

Then... no rush on these:

Fuel Tank Cap/Gauge
Front Tires
Rear Tires
Tire Valves
Steering Wheel
Hood Heat Shield
Hood
Hood Pin Kit
Seat Cushion
Rubber Grip Kit
Tractor Decal Kit
Mower Decal Kit
Floor Mat Kit
Gear Shift & Adjustment Knob Kit (if I want those to look new... )
Ignition Switch (just in case it is needed... I can see from the photos that the key is there... )

List will grow once I get it home and can inspect it all...
I'd add the fuel tank to the top part, you want to make sure you aren't putting any rust/debris into the fuel system.

·
14,096 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately, those tri-rib tires won’t fit your current rims. Pre-1966 machines had the option for thinner front rims, I THINK they dropped that in ‘66. If you can nail down the rims tho, they’ll be an exact swap onto your spindles. The tires you can definitely get from Miller, if the rain stops here I’ll pop out to my tractor tent and get you the numbers off mine.

There was also the option for thinner rear rims, I came across a set a couple years ago.
I think that 1965 you pictured there has the thin rears on it too, but hard to tell with ags on it. One thing I’d mention about the ags tho, is they WILL tear up your lawn right quick! Especially if you have any weight on the tractor...found that out running my loader tractor around in the back yard.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd add the fuel tank to the top part, you want to make sure you aren't putting any rust/debris into the fuel system.
Good point... I will check its condition. Fingers crossed that it just need cleaning and washing with some muriatic acid. As long as there are no pin holes, I should be able to bring it back to life. I also have some left over POR15 tank treatment. I can coat the inside with that (again, if there are no pin holes).

1 - 20 of 421 Posts