My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mowing with the 1250 and noticed oil dripping down in the deck- looked to me it was coming from the breather tube- it`s not attached to the air cleaner- I put a stick up their and wasn't anything coming from their- can quite a bit of oil be lost thru the tappet gasket?- or if my valve guides are worn- could this allow this space to get overly filler with oil?

also- can you have a cracked block- and the engine run? my other s-12d is getting oil from somewhere as I can see it hitting the exhaust elbow creating blue smoke- looks like it`s coming from the block just below the head

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Head gasket? You might have to give it a careful, thorough cleaning, then look where oil might be defining cracks. Then start it and observe where the oil first appears.

I learned to wear leather gloves and long sleeves when inspecting a running engine. The exhaust burn on my forearm was a strong motivator. Just a thought.

·
Young Bolens Collector
1,474 Posts
I agree, clean in it and run it, observe all around motor and see where you are leaking it from. One day I had a puddle of oil under my old 1886 and got real worried. Come to find out, the gasket for my fuel pump where it goes into motor was shot and one of the nipples on my fuel pump had a hairline crack. Easy couple dollar fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts