My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not take any before photos. Sorry. My son bought this off a scrap metal dealer - it was left for scrap. It needed a CD ignition module which cost around $50 as well as the cable that activates the engine brake which costs about $60. I had the ignition module on hand but needed the brake cable. I bought a new old stock one on ebay for $50 Canadian pesos. For the average homeowner the parts & labour to fix this probably exceeded its perceived value. The mower was in good shape but appears to have been left outside for a long time. Once aluminum starts to corrode it wicks its way under the paint. I was able to peel away large flakes of paint due the corrosion under it. The shroud was cracked when another piece of junk steel was thrown on the mower when it was in the scrapper's trailer, so I used the shroud from a S21ZPR mower.

I did not do much work on the engine other than replace both crankshaft seals whether it need it or not. Clean the exhaust ports and overall engine, clean carburetor and new needle & seat and primer bulb. Most of the work was cosmetic.

The deck was sanded and sandblasted removing 99% of the paint including the bottom. I applied about 6 thin coats of used Rustoleum self etching primer, then sanded it with 1000 grit paper and applied 5 or 6 very thing coats of Duplicolor Grabber Green. I did the bottom first and let it sit a week to dry then to top again allowing a week to let it dry. When it was sunny outside I put the deck in the sun to help it dry.

Recoil was taken apart and primed / painted as was the trim ring. Recoil got lubed and a new rope.

Handles were sanded, primed and painted with a sponge roller using Rustoleum flat black. A new rope guide part 86-9671 replaced the worn plastic guide. I masked the decals on the top console, removed the throttle cable assembly and sanded / primed / painted the the console plate.

Attached engine to deck, disassemble, lubricate and reinstalled blade brake assembly with new cable. Cooked muffler to remove any carbon (it hardly had any) applied high heat paint. Reinstalled it with a new blade and repainted mulch fan.

After putting everything back together the engine started first or second pull but surged up and down by about 200 RPM. This is a plastic carburetor with a side mounted primer and has no adjustment. I could have lived with the surge but they drive me up the wall... so I used a Durafoce trick. Took carburetor apart and double checked my original cleaning job. Everything looked good. The hole in the main jet was large than my .06mm drill bit so I oh-so-ever carefully enlarged the jet size to .07mm first by using a welding tip cleaner to slightly enlarge the orifice
Wheel Tire Lawn mower Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Automotive tire Gas Wood Art Circle

Grass Gas Plant Automotive wheel system Plastic

Pneumatic tool Handheld power drill Green Hammer drill Tool

Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire

Green Motor vehicle Gas Portable stove Table

Musical instrument Gas Automotive tire Art Circle

Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

hole allowing the .07mm drill make the final size. This cured 99% of the surge and I won't push my good luck any further.

Attached are some photos for your consideration.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also mention I did not use "used Rustoleum self etching primer" it was new primer. Typo sorry :). Also I like this deck as it is the same or similar to the Duraforce decks and allows the cutting height to be set to 3.5 inches instead of only 3 inches for the older decks. I really wish I had take before photos as this thing looked like a 'basket case'.

Dave

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,573 Posts
Looks really nice and a great save from the scrap yard. Bill

·
Lawn-Boy Nut
724 Posts
Wow, very nice job indeed !!

So, when you say ... "Handles were sanded, primed and painted with a sponge roller using Rustoleum flat black."

Does the sponge roller reproduce the factory wrinkle look ??

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, very nice job indeed !!

So, when you say ... "Handles were sanded, primed and painted with a sponge roller using Rustoleum flat black."

Does the sponge roller reproduce the factory wrinkle look ??

Thanks,

Doug
Hi Doug:

I gently hand sanded the handles and did not go down to bare metal (except where there was rust) in order to attempt to preserve the factory wrinkle finish. The result was satisfactory, most of the wrinkle finish remains. I considered stripping to bare metal and using a glossy paint, but in the end I'm glad I used the flat black paint. Thanks for asking.

Regards
Dave

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,329 Posts
Very nice. I've never seen the remote air intake. Was it a factory option or did you design it yourself?
Thanks! The remote air cleaner was a factory option for earlier F series mowers. If used on one of these later models it will require different mounting hardware. These are almost mandatory when scalping dirty old dormant Bermuda down here in the south, otherwise the stock filter will clog very quickly.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I did not take any before photos. Sorry. My son bought this off a scrap metal dealer - it was left for scrap. It needed a CD ignition module which cost around $50 as well as the cable that activates the engine brake which costs about $60. I had the ignition module on hand but needed the brake cable. I bought a new old stock one on ebay for $50 Canadian pesos. For the average homeowner the parts & labour to fix this probably exceeded its perceived value. The mower was in good shape but appears to have been left outside for a long time. Once aluminum starts to corrode it wicks its way under the paint. I was able to peel away large flakes of paint due the corrosion under it. The shroud was cracked when another piece of junk steel was thrown on the mower when it was in the scrapper's trailer, so I used the shroud from a S21ZPR mower.

I did not do much work on the engine other than replace both crankshaft seals whether it need it or not. Clean the exhaust ports and overall engine, clean carburetor and new needle & seat and primer bulb. Most of the work was cosmetic.

The deck was sanded and sandblasted removing 99% of the paint including the bottom. I applied about 6 thin coats of used Rustoleum self etching primer, then sanded it with 1000 grit paper and applied 5 or 6 very thing coats of Duplicolor Grabber Green. I did the bottom first and let it sit a week to dry then to top again allowing a week to let it dry. When it was sunny outside I put the deck in the sun to help it dry.

Recoil was taken apart and primed / painted as was the trim ring. Recoil got lubed and a new rope.

Handles were sanded, primed and painted with a sponge roller using Rustoleum flat black. A new rope guide part 86-9671 replaced the worn plastic guide. I masked the decals on the top console, removed the throttle cable assembly and sanded / primed / painted the the console plate.

Attached engine to deck, disassemble, lubricate and reinstalled blade brake assembly with new cable. Cooked muffler to remove any carbon (it hardly had any) applied high heat paint. Reinstalled it with a new blade and repainted mulch fan.

After putting everything back together the engine started first or second pull but surged up and down by about 200 RPM. This is a plastic carburetor with a side mounted primer and has no adjustment. I could have lived with the surge but they drive me up the wall... so I used a Durafoce trick. Took carburetor apart and double checked my original cleaning job. Everything looked good. The hole in the main jet was large than my .06mm drill bit so I oh-so-ever carefully enlarged the jet size to .07mm first by using a welding tip cleaner to slightly enlarge the orifice View attachment 2555670
View attachment 2555667
View attachment 2555668
View attachment 2555672
View attachment 2555673
View attachment 2555666
View attachment 2555671
View attachment 2555674
View attachment 2555669
View attachment 2555665
hole allowing the .07mm drill make the final size. This cured 99% of the surge and I won't push my good luck any further.

Attached are some photos for your consideration.
(y)

Great Job!, Looks really Nice Dave.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts