My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just cruising around and saw that someone set out a push mower. We stopped and grabbed it and it's a 22" Murray "Select" in very nice shape. It's an 04 model but looks like it was never used. My question is......It has a Honda GC160 on it. The motor looks like it belongs there, all of the controls look factory, it even matches the mower. I've never seen a Murray with a Honda engine though. Googled it and came up empty handed. Anyone know if it came this way or if someone swapped engines?

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
I've never known a Murray to come with a Honda engine. Does the decal on the shroud of the Honda say "Murray" on it? That's usually a clue. If it's a generic decal like "Honda GCV160", it may be a repower. If it's an OEM engine, it'll usually have the mower brand on the decal.

See below. It says "Powered by Honda", and then has "Craftsman's Quietest Engine" or something like that below. The engine was originally fitted on a Sears Craftsman mower.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, Murray never had a Honda engine on anything they made. Just Briggs and Tecs, and for a short time with the Scotts brand tractors, Kohlers.

·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking the same thing, I've worked on hundreds of those things and never known one to have a Honda engine. I'm not going to keep it so do you think the Honda swap will hurt the value? If anything I thought it may help but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
204 Posts
can we have a picture of the mower?

·
Registered
204 Posts
might need a close up, but that looks like a factory job

·
Registered
506 Posts
Looks pretty clean. Why was it at the curb?

·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks pretty clean. Why was it at the curb?
I was wondering the same thing but it was out with the trash so I snagged it. Someone threw parts at it and got mad I think. It has everything brand new in the tune up department, even has fresh oil. The throttle cable was a little off and not engaging the choke so it was a bit hard to start. Adjusted the cable and it starts on the first pull now with no effort at all. Other than adjusting the cable and unfolding the handle it needed nothing. I'll try and get a close up of the mower tomorrow but it really looks like it came that way. Even the controls on the handle look factory. I ran the date codes on the motor and the mower and they match as well but still couldnt turn up a model search in google that linked the two together. I really honestly dont know of anyone nutty enough to spend the money on a GCV160 just to put it on a Murray push mower. We are still trying to figure out the deal with the entire machine, its from 04 but looks brand new everywhere. Even underneath is spotless like it just rolled off the store showroom.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Here's a cheesy cell phone pic of the mower.

I had one I bought it from a lady after she took it to another small engine shop and the messed it up they where screwing with the GOV and charged her 200 bucks it never worked right when she got it back ...She had bought it new from home depot ..It was 2 years old when she brought it to me ...I go it fixed works great sold it to a fellow down the street from me

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Was it out of gas and the owner went to get gas, when he returns, his mower is gone. Something that looks that good just doesn't look like a free mower.

3 years ago the same thing happened close to where I live, guy ran out of gas, he went to get his gas can and come back and his mowers gone. I hope that wasn't case here. If I see a mower like that.

I aways go to the door and ask first before taking it. Each time the owner said yes it`s free and thanked me for asking. Myself I`d go back and ask if it was a free mower or not. If it wasn't I`d give it back.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
So what does the decal on the shroud say? Does it say that it's a Honda Murray?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Was it out of gas and the owner went to get gas, when he returns, his mower is gone. Something that looks that good just doesn't look like a free mower.

3 years ago the same thing happened close to where I live, guy ran out of gas, he went to get his gas can and come back and his mowers gone. I hope that wasn't case here. If I see a mower like that.

I aways go to the door and ask first before taking it. Each time the owner said yes it`s free and thanked me for asking. Myself I`d go back and ask if it was a free mower or not. If it wasn't I`d give it back.
I was thinking the same thing. I remembered a post I read on here somewhere how someone's Mom last a Lawn Boy that way. I would go back and ask, you might just make someone's day.

·
Banned
2 Posts
So what does the decal on the shroud say? Does it say that it's a Honda Murray?

the deck says Murray and Honda is in the motor ...I believe its a 5.5 hp ..On the bag it should 3.4 Bu dustless bag ....If i still have pics of mine i will post them to ..I had never seen one till i got mine ether

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I remembered a post I read on here somewhere how someone's Mom last a Lawn Boy that way. I would go back and ask, you might just make someone's day.
Thats why you be responsible and roll your mower back to the driveway and dont leave it on the side of the road. If it was settin on the curb, he must of wanted it to be hauled away. Though, my Grandma lost her old Murray by leaving it beside the garbage bin and the man thought it was trash. If you was to go back and ask, they might say you stole it....ahhh, you got it now so keep it and enjoy it.

·
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha we most certainly didnt steal it. It was under a pile of trash on the curb, they also had a nice Ikea chair and some other stuff out there that really didnt seem like trash. Maybe they were moving? Whoever put it there wanted it gone though, I had to move all kinds of crap and bags from it to be able to pick it up. Considering the massive pile surrounding it I'm pretty sure it was garbage. Also not sure what the laws are everywhere else, but here local law states anything on the curb with the trash is no longer the property of the owner. People put there trash on the street here, so it's on town property. They enforce leaving anything out other than trash on trash night with hefty fines. Gotta love rich people and their HOAs.

The deck itself says "Murray Select 22" and the motor just says "Honda GCV160". I'll get a better pic of it tomorrow.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Haha we most certainly didnt steal it. It was under a pile of trash on the curb, they also had a nice Ikea chair and some other stuff out there that really didnt seem like trash. Maybe they were moving? Whoever put it there wanted it gone though, I had to move all kinds of crap and bags from it to be able to pick it up. Considering the massive pile surrounding it I'm pretty sure it was garbage. Also not sure what the laws are everywhere else, but here local law states anything on the curb with the trash is no longer the property of the owner. People put there trash on the street here, so it's on town property. They enforce leaving anything out other than trash on trash night with hefty fines. Gotta love rich people and their HOAs.

The deck itself says "Murray Select 22" and the motor just says "Honda GCV160". I'll get a better pic of it tomorrow.

they are a good unit ...the choke cable has a tendency to slip back a hair ..I had to put a little black tape on the cable then clamp it ...If i still have pics of mine i will post them once i go to the shop ....the lady i got mine from said she bought it new from home depot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts