My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bloodhound maniac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy,

I bought this recently. I am not able to find the model number so I could try to google for a manual or parts book.

Also, if someone can tell me what year that machine is?

Kind regards,

GreKom

CAM00152.jpg

CAM00153.jpg

CAM00158.jpg

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
That is the Briggs engine number. It is about a '97 engine. The Tractor should have a tag like that on the Fender under/behind the seat.
5 numbers then a X and 2 more numbers and a letter.

·
Bloodhound maniac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info. Sorry no tag under seat. It looks like a tag was on the back side but it was peeled off (there are still visible lines where the label was).

I guess the guy that sold me the machine ripped me off :banghead3... He said it is was build in 2004 or 2003 :thSick:. He probably peeled the sticker off so I could not see the year...

Anyway, I fell in love as soon I saw the machine. All made of metal. Allmost no plastic.

I will need to get a seal for motor (it sweats a bit of oil) and in the autumn I will tear the cutting unit apart to change the bearings and belts.

I still hope someone can tell me the approximate model so I can try to find out more.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Briggs is from 95, tractor could be a 95 or 96. Definitely pre 1997 though. I'll dig around in a little while, maybe I can scare up a number.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Looks like you may have a 40900x20c.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=Murray&mn=40900x20C+-+Lawn+Tractor+(1996)

I don't know what retailer 20c is, but I don't believe it's for anyone in the states, so that is a good sign. The schematics should give any and all part numbers you should need for maintenance or repairs. For the Briggs you can plug those numbers into their site and get a parts schematic etc. In case I am incorrect on the tractor modelnumber, verify the transaxle model before ordering any motion drive parts. Normally there is a sticker "somewhere" on the transaxle with model info.

I do not have a manual, but I have a generic one I host on my site that may help you with things like brake and clutch adjustments. I will post a download link shortly.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
but I have a generic one I host on my site that may help you with things like brake and clutch adjustments. I will post a download link shortly
My mistake, my "generic" manuals are for tractors built after 1997. :sorry1:

·
Bloodhound maniac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks for the help. I guess I really was ripped. Anyway, it is a nice machine and I will hopefully have some nice years with it.

Btw... Was the fan for blowing the grass on the right side of the cutting unit a feature or is it normal for these machines?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice looking mower! If you like it for the money you didn't get ripped. You were misinformed. Hopefully it will be a fun project for you.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Bloodhound maniac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice looking mower! If you like it for the money you didn't get ripped. You were misinformed. Hopefully it will be a fun project for you.
Thanks, thats a right way to look at it. :congrats:

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I like to assume people make mistakes instead of purposely mis lead, but it's getting harder to think that way as I get older. The biggest issue here would be almost 20 years of wear and tear as opposed to 8 or 9. As a rule of thumb figure 50 hrs of use per year, that adds up to a big difference, especially for the the engine. Your tractor looks solid. Someone cared for and respected it. You did well I believe. That tractor is a testament to the quality that was built into these low cost, high value tractors.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
I like to assume people make mistakes instead of purposely mis lead, but it's getting harder to think that way as I get older. The biggest issue here would be almost 20 years of wear and tear as opposed to 8 or 9. As a rule of thumb figure 50 hrs of use per year, that adds up to a big difference, especially for the the engine. Your tractor looks solid. Someone cared for and respected it. You did well I believe. That tractor is a testament to the quality that was built into these low cost, high value tractors.
:ditto:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts