My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Murray guys, I think we finally have all this figured out. After much research and bouncing theories back and forth between members I think we can come to some solid conclusions. I want to thank hankll, HuffyCaprice1969 and SleazyRider for helping me sort through the information and get some answers, along with anyone else who has input along the way. We will do model #'s first.

Murray Model Numbers From The 1970's and 1980's

The typical early model number looked something like this 2-36504. This type of model # also gives us the DOM [More specifically the "model year"]. The numbers are explained below.

2-36504
2 - The last digit of the year produced. In this case the tractor is either from 1972 or 1982, easily determined visually.
36 - 36 signifies the tractor has a 36" deck.
504 - The tractor model itself for lack of a better term.

Murray Model Numbers From 1989 On.

A typical Murray model # from the 1990's and 2000's will look something like this.

42571X8A [My particular LT :fing32:]

42 - 42" Deck.
571 - Again, for lack of a better term, the actual model.
X8A - Who the tractor was built for. In this case Home Depot.

Murray DOM [Date of Manufacture] Tags/Numbers From The 1970's

To the best of my knowledge, the DOM numbers seem to be based on the "Julian" system. A typical DOM number from the 1970's would look like this

I believe they were using the YDDD [Year Day Day Day] system in the 1970's. The tractor above would have been built on the 170th day of 1973.

Below are two photographic examples of older DOM's.

This is a tag from an old rer. The dom number is 9150, which would make the tractor made on the 150th day of 1979. We could also date this one by the 9 at the begining of the model number, which tells us this machine is from the 1979 model year.

Here is another example of a late 70's tag. Note the DOM year [1979] and Model Year [1980] are 1 year apart, this is common for tractors built late in the year. This tractor was built on the 319th day of 1979 for the 1980 model year. Remember, the model year is determined by the number before the dash in the old model numbers.

Murray DOM [Date of Manufacture] Tags/Numbers From The 1980's and 1990's

In the 1980's and early 1990's, Murray still used a 4 digit DOM, but swapped to a DDDY system as opposed to a YDDD system. Why I don't know.

This tractor, which belongs to a fellow MTF member was built on the 22nd day of 1988. Again we can also date it by the "model year" number.

Murray 5 Digit DOM's

For a short time in the 1990's, Murray switched to a 5 digit YYDDD system. Seems fairly idiot proof below, but the year, in this case 1996, was not always printed on the tag to the left of the 5 digit DOM. Normally the tag would just say DOM 96046. So now we know the the tractor would have been built on the 46th day of 1996.

I believe it was in 2000 that Murray began using the MM/DD/YYYY system which takes out all the head scratchin'.

To Recap.

1970's DOM's YDDD
1980 and early 1990 DOM's DDDY
Late 1990 and Early 2000 DOM's YYDDD
Early 2000 on MM/DD/YYYY

I'm pretty sure all this information is accurate, but if it's not......my bad. I'm sure I'll discover all the typos when the edit option is gone lol.

Other Ways to date Your Murray Equipment

The most common way to date a Murray that is missing its tag is to use the information from the engine. On Briggs engines, there is a "code" number which tells us when the engine was made. The numbers will either be on a sticker affixed to the engine or the number may be stamped into the shroud or other easily seen area of the engine. The first 2 digits in the code number are the last two digits of the year it was manufactured. The tractor normally will be 1 year "newer" than the engine. This system of dating is only effective if the engine is the original powerplant. So if your first two numbers in the Briggs Code number are 81, odds are very good that your tractor was built in 1982.

I'm sure Tecumseh has a dating system too, but that one I don't know.

Another way to date it is to post a picture and someone here at MTF will get you within a year or two.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Awesome post! This should be put on Wikipedia or something.:thanku:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Cudo's BBY, and you know it is explained really well, now if only my head will stop spinning from TMI..... Wow I need to print this out and put it into a notebook binder on my dash for ID'ing refurb candidates. I've always used the check the engine if no DOM tag is visable. Other than that, it is hmm, its older than dirt (out loud to the seller) can't give you too much for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.