My Tractor Forum banner

murray help :)

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  larrybl 
#1 ·
i live in nc. and have a murray select, and a massey ferguson 135 diesel. i need help w/the murray!

gena

#4 ·
Wow, can ya get any vauger than that. "Murry... Need Help"
A description of the Mower, Model #, and what the problem is would be helpful to us. And Pictures of the problen is a great start to getting answers.

#6 ·
wow, this is a tough crowd!
http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/smilies/sorry1.gif
that was actually my 'intro' post that was sent over here by the moderator!

ok, here's the murray help i need:

i need a sleeve hitch for a murray select, 14 hp, 42", i have the part number for it thanks to an amazing post on this site.

i really don't want to spend $200 for a new one, as i don't know how long this tractor will last, being that it is already 10 yrs old....so, i saw a craftsman sleeve hitch on criagslist, and i'm wondering if i can make it work....

murray sleeve hitch 24801
craftsman 757.252313

anyone want to throw their extensive knowledge at this? i've been reading, and you guys are the dudes to ask!

gena

#8 ·
:MTF_wel2:

I'm sure a Craftsman hitch, maybe not that one in particular, can be modded to fit, probably by drilling new holes in the tractor. I need to ask though, is this a lawn tractor you are looking to put this on?. I'm assuming it is becuse of the horse power and model [select]. The reason I ask is that the transaxle in a lawn tractor will not handle ground engaging equipment. Is there a particular job you are trying to do with the hitch?

#12 ·
I think that will be too much for the machine [the transaxle in particular] to handle. The aerator and seeder are common attachments for lawn tractors and really don't put any kind of real demand on the transaxle or frame. Once you start to manipulate the earth [plowing, tilling etc] it's a whole different ball game as far as stress on the equipment.

#11 ·
if its a select like i had, IMO it wouldnt hold up long with a sleve hitch, i had enough trans problems with mine just cutting the yard and moving the boat or car trailer around, my trans was always hard to shift and would stick in gear and all, dont know if it was tearing up, someone bought it from me

i think the cultivator is what would tear up the drive gear, the other 2 should be ok behind it, thats just my opinion, maybe someone with a sleve on their murry can tell us more

#13 · (Edited)
Gena, glad ya came back! Yea I'd be afraid you would tear up jack in the trans axle before to long. If your willing to try it, just be aware of the precautions.

The sleeve hitches that Craftsman indicates are only for Craftsman, I 've seen them on different LT's, oops, I mean GT's and they can be made to work. If you mod your attachment of it, and you do try to use the cultivator, just don't try to dig in with it too much, or the trans axle could be your first heavy duty repair job. If you do use it, just don't pressure it. You might get away with it that way. The other consideration in the equation, is your drive belt will also be placed under more pressure from the drag and could need replacement sooner than normal. But, again, if you go easy, you could possibly do the chore you are wanting to do.

Here is what I think you have and here is a Murray GT, I just finished doing a refurbish job and it is sold, to be picked up by the weekend.

Notice how the tires and frame of the red LT are so much lighter weight than the "Green Machine" GT, which has much bigger wheel/tire on it. Also notice the back slope of the GT on the frame body at the back, and the straight up and down back end of the LT. Just some considerations for you to look over.

Also, the red example I had is a hydro automatic, so if you happen to have a hydro, don't even think about it!:Stop:

Attachments

#15 ·
Hay Gena, Sorry for my first reply:sorry1: I didn't relize it was your first post. :fing20: and :Welcome1:. I agree with needing a GT, I am in the market for a Sleve hitch also, for the Green Mower I have, the Red one is mainly mowing and toting a small trailer when needed. Even though both have the same sixe rear tires, The Red Craftsman has a keyed axle with a 6 speed pearliss transaxle, and the back plate is rather thin. The Green Craftsman has a 3 speed with Hi/Lo and a cast iron 5 lug rear end, and the back plate in 1/4 thick and angled.
Again :MTF_wel: and :goodl:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.