My Tractor Forum banner

Murray drive belt replacement, help?

239 Views 8 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  logan.wagner
Hi everyone. I decided to install the new drive belt on my Murray riding lawn mower with the 42 inch deck, it was originally a 14hp model, model number is 42614X92A. Unfortunately, I failed to take a picture before removing the old belt, sorry for my ignorance there. Now I am unsure as to what specific route the belt takes, I have the basics done, it’s just the part of the belt that I circled in the picture below that I don’t know where it belongs. The diagrams I found online appeared to be for newer models. Thanks for any knowledge anyone has to help me out.
See less See more
1 - 7 of 9 Posts
So I found a diagram, and from the looks of it, the belt is supposed to go where I have doodled in yellow in the picture below, if I’m correct that is…
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Thanks for the reply Forest Gump.
FYI: The old belt was 94.5 inches. I only had to replace it because I put a new engine in the machine off of a hydro drive tractor and the pulley assembly was smaller. The new belt is 93 inches, I was thinking about getting a 93.5 if there’s such a thing, but I decided to see if the 93 inch.
I got the new belt installed, however, the brake pedal is questionable and the brakes only work when I’m in neutral... The pulley that is suppose to move when the brake pedal is applied is not moving very much as it should…
I’m thinking that I need to get a 93.5 inch belt instead…
I will take a closer look at the brakes, but they were working perfectly before I changed the drive belt. I couldn’t find an owner’s manual for my model number online…
Today I bought a 94 inch belt, to see if just a 1/2 smaller will prevent it from slipping off…
I got the 94 inch drive belt installed today. The brakes work better now. And the belt didn’t fall off, although, I didn’t drive too much. I’ll drive it more tonight or tomorrow and see what happens.
1 - 7 of 9 Posts