My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ta Dah! It has been a long road for the Green Machine in my stable. Started out as a refurb possibility, when I purchased it. Then I got it home and found out the engine was blown :banghead3, so it sat for awhile. I found another engine, but it smoked slightly. It only cost me $30 so I wasn't too bothered about it. I found the snow plow in the fall and got it installed just before Christmas. I was able to actually use the snow plow blade when we had a 6" snow. Then it sat again until about May. A client called me and wanted to know if he could bring his rider over for some tire change outs. While he was there he spotted the Green Machine. How much?, he asks after finding out it was a 52" cut. After telling him a price that would allow me to get another good engine for it, I've been working on it in spurts when my knee allowed me to after my surgery, and then the heat was so bad, I let it set. We got a cooling in our weather so I could work on it and it is now finished!

Here are the before I started..... and the finished pictures.

Attachments

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I had to make a engine to blade primary belt guide. I looked on the parts diagram and couldn't figure out what I was missing to cause the blade belt to jump off when I disengaged the blades.

I sorta "engineered" a blade belt guide to prevent it from getting off the engine pulley. I can now disengaged the blades while the engines is at full revs, and the belt won't jump off the pulley. Since I'm selling this to a customer, I tested it numerous times and while the belt is engaged the belt doesn't touch, missing the guide surface my a mere 1/8".

The metal strap is a side to side stabilizer bar from a Craftsman mower deck. It had the zig zag in it already, I had to bend and twist it to do what I wanted it to do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Looks good. I like that green, I wish they used it more.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, it was a good color of green, but the candy apple was the best. I think they screwed up getting away from it, and especially when the Ultra green was used, ick!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Looks great. Here's a thumbs up for the creative engineering on the belt guide.:fing32:

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Heheh, That is only 50 or so miles from me, too, but I wouldn't give him $200 for it with a bad engine. Even if it was taken care of, and the deck is in good shape. I could come up with another engine, but my cheap engine source is about all used up. The junk yard guy only has em up to 16 hp and he charges $250 for one, that I can see running. The one I took off the Green Machine, was smoking and yet the bores were smooth. So, my guess would be it was valve guides. Any way, the price would have to come down on it a lot, to make me buy it, but if the man would take it, I'd give $50 or $75 for it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Nice Murray!:thThumbsU:thThumbsU
My 98 GT is the same color, the green looks good on them. I just need to find a hood:fing20:

·
Registered
690 Posts
very nice

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Someone must have bought that other Green Machine Murray......it has been deleted by the seller. I was about to call him and see whether I could get him down on his price. Oh well.....

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Someone must have bought that other Green Machine Murray......it has been deleted by the seller. I was about to call him and see whether I could get him down on his price. Oh well.....
I have a bad GT story myself today, I don't even want to think about it.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Would you like to talk about it? :Disgus:
Yeah lol, I'll probably start a thread about in the next couple days. Not a huge deal, but Murphy's Law is alive and well. The only thing I'm not sorry about is being able to skip the 10 hour plus round trip to pick it up. But for now all I will say is Boneyard still does not own an old school Murray GT.

:crybaby::banghead3:fing20::duh::00000060::Disgus::(:14_6_5::bonk::madpc::1336::maddd::eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts