My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've got a Murray Garden Tractor 46431X92A), and according to the sticker on the bag the "mulching kit" is part number 24759. I've searched online and I see that the kit includes blades and the wingnuts. I don't need mulching blades (I've got them already), I just need the mulching plate... any idea how I could find just the plate? Everything I've turned up so far has been the kit with the extra blades.

-Josh

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Josh,
That's the only way I have ever seen them, the whole kit with blades and all.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
I think if a photo of the mulch plate was shown, I'd take a stab at recreating it from some sheet steel. I've seen those custom motorcycle shows using a rubber mallet on tin to bend concave shapes for the tanks. They just placed the tin on a piece of thick stiff cushion, it looked like, just something to allow the metal to stretch from the mallet hitting it. Of course then they used an English wheel to smooth it. But that'd be the way I'd try it.

As far as attachment, most use short lengths of rubber bungee or have a carriage bolt sticking out of the side of the skirt with a wing nut to hold the plate in place and makes it removable.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've already got mulching blades (they are high-lift blades). All I need is the plate to prevent the clippings from discharging out the right side.

I've got a rear discharge trailmower, and with the way it is now, the side-discharge sends the clippings onto the path just cut by the trailmower on the previous circuit. So I have a pattern where every-other cut path (the trailmower's path) has all the clippings, and the paths in between (where the garden tractor's mower deck cut) has virtually no clippings, because they were discharged out to the right side.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
The last mulching plug I bought was just a piece of plastic. That sheetmetal idea sounds like the way to go to me.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Not that you have not thought of this, but if you attach the plate with mechanical fasteners, be sure they are not in the way of the blades. If you use the factory holes on the deck you should be fine.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Yea, the use of carriage bolts going from inside out will not have a high profile head to catch the blade tips or even much if any grass clippings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi jbeall,

Williards Small Engines has just the Mulch Cover available for 46" Decks (PN 95086). Lists for 19.95. As long as it's not plastic it seems to be a good price.

The Owner Instructions book that came with my tractor (46901X92B) only lists Mulch Kits for the 38-42" deck - 24750, 24755, and 24758 respectivly...

Since there is different parts applicability for Murray mower components based on if a 1 or 5 or etc. is the Xth digit in your model number, could you/anyone be able to tell me if the PN 24759 kit you mention is correct for my tractor?

Thank you

r is only a

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
could you/anyone be able to tell me if the PN 24759 kit you mention is correct for my tractor?

Thank you

r is only a
According to my 2000 Murray Brochure, the only kit for a 46" deck is #24579.

24666 - 30" decks
24750 - 38" decks
24758 - 42" decks
24759 - 46" decks
24766 - 52" decks
24763 48-50" decks

Good find in just the plate. I didn't think to check Willards. Great place to deal with for Murray parts. Anyone looking to convert their Murray to mulch i would highly recommend just buying the plate and getting a set of Gator Blades.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to my 2000 Murray Brochure, the only kit for a 46" deck is #24579.

24666 - 30" decks
24750 - 38" decks
24758 - 42" decks
24759 - 46" decks
24766 - 52" decks
24763 48-50" decks

Good find in just the plate. I didn't think to check Willards. Great place to deal with for Murray parts. Anyone looking to convert their Murray to mulch i would highly recommend just buying the plate and getting a set of Gator Blades.
Are the gator blades really that much better than a regular "high lift" mulching blade?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Are the gator blades really that much better than a regular "high lift" mulching blade?
Yes, they are. The photo below is from last year. I had just got done mulching the front yard. I guess it would be a lot more impressive with a before shot lol, but you will have to take my word for it that the lawn was covered in oak leaves, pines needles and cones. Literally covered. Of course us Murray owners know that their decks, particulary from the early 90's on gave a beautiful cut. Putting a set of Gators and a mulch plate on a Murray is serious bad news for any grass or "debris".

The blades at this point are about 8 years old.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Looks plastic to me... but it still might work, I think. At least it won't rust! :)

Here's the link to the product page.
That's a little different than my factory plate. Looks like it "slips over" the bottom part of the chute, then will wing nut with bolt in the two factory holes. I wouldn't let the plastic sway me if it's thick enough it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Yea, that is what they make for em now! $20 beats beating one out of sheet steel!
No doubt. That shape would be impossible to duplicate with thin easy to bend material let alone anything of a decent gauge. You would need 12 hours on an english wheel at least lol. You could jerry rig one but the way that opening rolls into the top of the deck would be the kicker to cover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts