My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie so please bear with me. I would like to get rid of the discharge chute and replace with mulching blades and the cover to close the discharge opening. It seems like their is a slight consensus to go to the Gator blades but I have not been able to find the cover to close the opening. I have seen where people have fabricated this but that is NOT ME. I would rather have a factory type cover to close this. Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks, Steve.

·
Landscaping Nut
1,362 Posts
I cut grass from time to time with a bx24 with the 60 inch standard midmount kubota deck. I inquired with messicks, a site sponsor and dealer, and the only thing they have is a mulching kit with baffles and a block off blate. They don't sale the block off plate individually. The kit runs over 400 dollars.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Welcome aboard scp1scp.
Like HiPocket pointed out, Kubota makes a much kit for your MMM. You have to install some baffles on the MMM that basically encloses each blade within it's own circular chamber and this also closes off the discharge shoot. The kit includes the mucling blades too.
Theres been many reviews by those who have installed this kit with the vast majority giving it a thumbs up. Installation, which has been reported to be somewhat easy, includes having to either flip the MMM over or block it up so one can access both the top and bottom.
The kit isn't designed to be swapped on and off, it's more or less a permanent installation as it's not an easy on / off.

I did try to fab up my own mulch plate and tried it with the std blades as well as the gatorblades and it didn't work out very well for me.

Good luck

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :Welcome1:

You may be able to use the mulch kit with gator blades. At least with the Deere mulch kit you can (there is a slight interference that the first blade rotation grooves out of the plastic) and I would think you could with the Kubota kit. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
guys,
my understanding is, that when you use gator blades, the blades will chop the clippings up a bit smaller/finer, but the exit chute is not supposed to be blocked off.
i ran gators on my commercial toro z master 100, chute open for dispersal, and no clumping. i did not even have to put on the toro mulch kit (baffles, mulch blades on, which i had ). the blade tip speed was 18,500 fpm and gave an outrageous quality of cut. however, kubota does it differently.
prior to buying the kubota mulch kit for my bx2360, i will run gators for a try. the kits can be a nusience in spring and fall when grass is growing like crazy . . . hence the open chute.
my deck is the 54" deep/fine cut, and may give different results than the shallower 60" you have.
i suppose you'll have to experiment. as i have tried to politely state before, it's max throttle, slower ground speed and often cutting more than once a week - without trying to cut off too much grass - good luck, happy mowing and experimenting -shrekbelly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Everyone, thanks for all of the advice! I am probably going to try the gator blades without anything else first and see how that works. Does anyone know what the part number is for the 60inch? Thanks again from the newbie!

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
scp1scp, re. gatorblades, see the sticky.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a ezchute for my ZTR that was a plate that could be flopped over the discharge with a control handle. The logistics would be tougher on a Kubota, but it was great. I used it to mulch or to prevent clippings from ending up in the planting beds. It was nice to be able to switch quickly. I just had regular blades but it would turn mountains of leaves into mulch in no time at all. Maybe you fabricators out there could come up with something?

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Good topic, perhaps some pics will be helpful.
I fabb'ed up an easily R&R'ed mulch plate for my BX23's 60" MMM and it didn't do very well at all. I tried it with the std blades and gatorblades and both had similar results, massive clumping at the plate. Another poster tried using a thick screen material as a plate and once it filled in it did the same as my plate. Unfortunately these BX MMM's are designed to rapidly discharge any and all clippings out the right side and a plate just gums up the works as we unfortunatly discovered :D
Course if one can figure out a better way, please share with us.

With kudo's to MOPAULY, he posted some pics many moons ago of his install of Kubota's mulch kit to a BX 54" MMM. As you can see theres alot more to it than just blocking off the discharge port. He also shared a pic of the std blade and mulch blade side by side and theres a huge difference.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts