My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut once a week (thats all I have time for), and I was getting these rows of piles of grass out the discharge chute. After a few days, they turn brown and are super ugly.

I removed the chute, and that helped a lot...it now "throws" the grass farther out and over a larger area, and I can probably live with that, but was wondering if mulching blades would help even more?

Do they work, and is there a specific brand that is better than others?

And no...I dont want to mess with baggers or vacuums...at least not now.

Thanks!

-Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark, but whats a mulch plug? Am I correct to assume it plugs the chute?

And what about sharpening...it looks like it would be harder with all the slots and channels.

Thanks again!

-Chris

·
Super Moderator
32,621 Posts
The plug does plug the chute forcing the grass to be cut multiple times on the blades. You do not have to sharpen the upper cutouts only the main blade so it's the same as a regular to sharpen!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And where would one acquire said plug?

:thanku:

-Chris

·
USMC
19,146 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Chris,

I have mulching blades/ mulcher kit on my 48" deck - Deere blades/ kit. They work very well.

I know what you mean about the piles of brown after mowing with a side discharge. Had that with my former tractor. I also know what you mean about not wanting to bag the grass. Now that I have the mulching set-up, I will never go back to side discharge.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I cut once a week (thats all I have time for), and I was getting these rows of piles of grass out the discharge chute. After a few days, they turn brown and are super ugly.

I removed the chute, and that helped a lot...it now "throws" the grass farther out and over a larger area, and I can probably live with that, but was wondering if mulching blades would help even more?

Do they work, and is there a specific brand that is better than others?

And no...I dont want to mess with baggers or vacuums...at least not now.

Thanks!

-Chris
I have gators on my 54" w/no chute.
Don't notice ANY difference in cut. However, I cut tall thick stuff along right of ways and the mower blows big wads out. I cut at 4" also.
Personally!!!!! I think I wasted my money over the OEM blades! (only my opinion)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts