My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Did you measure the blade cutting edge height with the mower on a hard surface?

The dial isn't always set to exact -- and may have been set with different tire pressures.

If you're gonna check the height -- check the tire pressures before you start.

I've read several posts about new mowers with tire pressures above the recommended pressure for cutting. (mine was too high as well)
Lower pressure will also give a larger tire 'footprint'. This increased area in contact with the ground means few 'pounds per square inch' (psi) which may reduce the amount that the grass stays bent over.

In any case, if you're not happy with the current results there is no harm in trying settings that are lower / closer to the manual recommendation.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I jacked up my mower a few days ago to check that the blades didn't have any major nicks in them and to check that the decks wasn't coated in old clippings and the blades appeared to be the correct size.

Cant I just use a measuring tape at the discharge to verify blade height?
You can if you can reach the back, left hand and front blade positions when doing the deck levelling.

The Deere tool is about $5 or $10 .
Makes it much easier to do the check process for blade positions other than at discharge opening.

If you didn't get a manual, or prefer a pdf one, they can be downloaded (free) from Deere's website.
They are serial number specific.

Reactions: PA318Guy
1 - 2 of 2 Posts