My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Re Gator G6 blades. I've used them on a 48" JD deck for several seasons before I moved to the country. Never used a mulch kit though. Found they had almost but not quite as much lift as the "high lift" OEM JD blades, but the discharge was much finer. I used them with a Cyclone Rake to increase the CR bin capacity. G6 blades gave a comparable, very good finish cut too.

Re Mulching.
Mulch mowing does require some adjustments. Primarily, a lower over the ground speed is best to allow the somewhat reduced lift to pull as much up as it can as you pass over the grass. Any wet or damp grass is going to be laid down by the front tires. Fine bladed grasses that tend to bend easily are also troublesome. Without the extra lift, the laid down grass if damp or wet will not be pulled back up by the mulching blades. Mulching is probably more successful if done more frequently on grass that has not become too long. Try mowing twice a week in average growing conditions, more if the lawn is growing quickly. Mulching when the grass has grown an inch or inch and a half would be a good place to start testing and establishing the best cut schedule for your particular lawn. Mulching at 3.5" when the grass has grown 2 or 3 inches, is setting you up for disappointment.

Adjust your mowing schedule and style to the lawn you have. You'll get there, just be patient and be prepared to cut more often and at a slower pace.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts