My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Certified Master Tinkerer
Have to say that after 45 years on tractors cutting grass this was a super informative thread. Maybe even sticky worthy. I changed over to mulching this year and after reading this thread tried mowing yesterday at about half the usual ground speed. The difference is noticeable. The lawn went from a green shag carpet look to a much more tailored green cut-pile carpet look. Plus more seat time 馃憤

If speed is in your needs, I think mulching might leave you less than impressed.
Agreed 馃憤馃憤. I have a half acre divided into three sections and I鈥檓 going to start including a coffee break and lunch on the mowing schedule. Before I read this thread I鈥檇 ordered a set of Gator G6 blades that are supposed to come in today. Right now I鈥檓 using OEM mulchers that were new this season. I鈥檒l throw the Gators on just to see if there鈥檚 any difference but 4 days later my slow motion cut from last week is holding up pretty well. No where near as ragged as my previous SpeedRacer results.

Great review ivel, thanks! The Gators came today - along with the rain. Nice thing with the x310 is I can change the blades with the deck all the way up, no jacking 馃憤. The rain will turbo my grass so it won鈥檛 be long before I get a test run.
And I don鈥檛 have a mulch kit, just the plug. Couldn鈥檛 seem to find an under deck kit for the 42鈥 deck.

Rectangle Wood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior
Wood Automotive tire Tool Automotive exterior Bumper

The Gators came in yesterday and I pulled the JD OEM mulching blades that were new at the start of this season. Took a side-by-side pic for comparison. Found the right side blade attaching nut was loose and there was some wobble. 馃え?? Might contribute to the less than great cut.

Rectangle Grey Tints and shades Font Pattern

Don鈥檛 quite get why both blades are stamped 鈥淩IGHT鈥. Made for a moment when I pulled the left blade off first and thought they were location specific.

Let us know how you like them! With and without the mulching plug installed.

Are the G6 edges sharp or will they need touched up prior to installing them? Lots of people report they're a little dull straight from Oregon.
So that鈥檚 a great question and it seems another personal preference thing. The blades seem to have a paint coating on the cutting edge so I did some surfing and found this reference:
If you want to skip the YouTube video it鈥檚 a guy who does lawn care talking about pre-sharpening blades and he says 鈥榥o鈥 - just stick them on the tractor. And since it鈥檚 on the internet it must be true! 馃槷
So for the sake of scientific method I鈥檓 going to run them straight out of the box. That and since I already put them on I won鈥檛 have to take them back off 馃槓

So while I was changing blades I decided to check the deck level again even though I did it at the start of the season. Not quite right, LF tire has 4 PSI 馃え? Plug the hole, relevel the deck and finally off to the races鈥

Automotive tire Bumper Tire Grass Wood

The start wasn鈥檛 that great and I didn鈥檛 love the cut immediately after it was done before the grass bounced back. But the next day it looks just as good with the Gators as with the OEM mulch blades. I may throw them back on for the next cut just to do a more direct comparison since a was mowing with a low tire and my early spring deck level job was 鈥渓ess than ideal.鈥 Looks like the paint will wear off the leading edge of the blades pretty quickly.

So鈥 you鈥檙e saying take the mulch plug off (and therefore reinstall the discharge deflector) to act as an air intake? One of the things I like about the mulch plug is improved maneuverability and being able to cut close on both sides. But I鈥檒l give it a go next mow.

So the chute deflector mysteriously fell off when I installed the mulch blades and I鈥檇 have had to reinstall it because we don鈥檛 bypass safeties at MTF. And sticking with the thread theme on mulching I pulled the Gators back off and put the OEM mulch blades back on. All here will be shocked to learn that with a deck leveled to with 1/8鈥 side-to-side by measurement and properly inflated (and not leaking) tires done at reduced speed the cut quality improved dramatically. I am going to hang onto the Gators and see how they do with the bagger come leaf season unless I catch a rock with the OEMs. Have to say I like being able to mow from both sides to get through some trouble spots on my lawn. Thanks to mdn14 for the background on the Gators. Still glad I tried them and will have them on again soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts