My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be replacing an engine in an MTD Lawn Tractor (MODEL 771) which will require me to replace the muffler.

Before getting into the job I would like some advice/information from someone who’s been there - on the connection between the muffler and the exhaust pipe. The parts diagram only shows the pipe fitting into a hole in the muffler. There are no clamps or bolts to seal the pipe to the muffler.

So – I have a couple of questions before I launch.
1) Am I seeing this correctly or is there some other part that I am not seeing?
2) Is this a tight fit – is any “cement” or anything added to seal the pipe and the muffler?
3) The muffler that I will be removing has a good deal of rust on it. Is it possible to separate the old muffler without destroying the exhaust pipe?

Any other ticks, traps or techniques would be appreciated in making the separation work without destroying the exhaust pipe - WD-40, heat, prayer – before I start hitting it with a hammer.

I know this has been done before but I’ve tried several searches and googles – and no hits.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

DRP

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
I am going to be replacing an engine in an MTD Lawn Tractor (MODEL 771) which will require me to replace the muffler.

Before getting into the job I would like some advice/information from someone who’s been there - on the connection between the muffler and the exhaust pipe. The parts diagram only shows the pipe fitting into a hole in the muffler. There are no clamps or bolts to seal the pipe to the muffler.

So – I have a couple of questions before I launch.
1) Am I seeing this correctly or is there some other part that I am not seeing?
2) Is this a tight fit – is any “cement” or anything added to seal the pipe and the muffler?
3) The muffler that I will be removing has a good deal of rust on it. Is it possible to separate the old muffler without destroying the exhaust pipe?

Any other ticks, traps or techniques would be appreciated in making the separation work without destroying the exhaust pipe - WD-40, heat, prayer – before I start hitting it with a hammer.

I know this has been done before but I’ve tried several searches and googles – and no hits.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

DRP
Its a screw on muffler prolly.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
If it is the typical two cylinder vertical shaft engine we are talking about here, there is no hardware connection between the pipes and mullfer. The pipes just slide into the holes on the muffler and the muffler bolts onto the frame to hold everyting together.

Some muffler putty might help with a seal if you are worried, but it's really not necessary.

As for removal, spray the pipes down with some Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster and let it soak. The muffler whould wiggle loose if it doesn't just fall off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
D-DOG,

Thanks very much for the reply. Actualyl it is a B&S Single. The Part Diagram is located at (pages 20 & 21):

http://www.oscar-wilson.com/MANUALS/MTD/769-01612a.pdf

My situation if the one shown in the larger picture (Single Cyl 17.5 hp B&S) - Ex Pipe #31, Muffler # 26

I would try to post a photo, however, there is just no way to get in ther and see the connecting point of the Ex Pipe and the muffler.

I had one suggestion that it was threaded connection - it seems that would be difficult to install - and very difficult to disconnect without destroying both (again given the corrosion).

I was hoping someone had been down this path before on an MTD muffler.

Thanks again for the advice and information. This forum is outstanding.

Regards,

DRP

I was hoping someone had been down this path before

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
DRP, a dollar says that's the same as the two cylinder muffler set up. Nothing other than the pipe shoved in the hole. Sure looks like it anyway. If yours is stuck it's just by rust.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yup D-Dogg is right. That all it is, a pipe shoved in the hole.
Kyle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts