My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 SS12 that I got working a couple of months ago. Yesterday when I was plowing some earth part of the muffler popped off and it doesn't look particularly repairable.

The tractor has a replacement engine in it, an OH140 (14 HP Tecumseh engine) and while the original design of the tractor had a pancake muffler, the muffler on it right now is a long barreled type. (see attachment) The cap popped off the top and the inside suddenly started to go from dark to cherry red.

I'm wondering if I can return it to the original pancake muffler or if I need to locate a replacement similar to what's on it now, and what are the pros and cons of each? I'd like to get it back to its original look, but I'm not sure what problems that might create with the different engine.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
There are a few you can use. This briggs muffler is a little better on the ears that the pepper can ones. It's made for 8 to 16 castiron briggs. Might not be as quite as what you had.

I put a street 45 degree eblow in the block then this muffler.

google
briggs 105254

·
15,000 +posts!
20,428 Posts
I bought a stock looking "Arnold" band muffler at Lowes ,similar to the Briggs one mentione ,only its got a threaded 1" hole instead of a pipe on it,for about 7 bucks..sounds pretty quiet too..a lot better than the other one got for the 8 HP Briggs on my 8M Compact,its a saussage shaped OEM looking one,but it barks rather annoyingly..doesn't "muffle" much,IMO!..but it was 5 bucks,so I cant expect miracles..I'd buy the Arnold 1" one and bush it down to 3/4" NPT had I known btter...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts