My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,746 Posts
That thing is incredible! I'm not sure that I could follow the engineering even with a how-to video. Very nicely done!!!

Mike

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,828 Posts
Congratulations, Pedro, and nice work on a very good looking and good working machine.

·
5K and there's still more
6,101 Posts
Some more fun facts about Pedro's backhoe,
I remember reading one of his posts where he mentioned his age when he started
the build, he was 16 or 17 at the time and that was 5 or 6 years ago!

Since then he's also rebuilt a dozer and a forklift. I have a picture of the dozer on my old computer, I'll see if I can find it.

Lately, he's been building smaller things such as cylinders for the front end loader he is building from scratch.

He's also teaching me about lathes and what all those thingies are for.

Maybe we can coax him in to posting some more pictures of his other machines

and also his lathe. :tango_face_wink:

Donewrken

:fing32:

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the comments.

Since Don asked for it, I'll share a couple more pictures of some random projects.

Lathe refurbish:

Before:

HPIM5122.JPG HPIM5117.JPG

After:

IMG_5286.JPG IMG_5288.JPG

Some random parts (pistons, glands, rods, tubes, etc):

IMG_20190607_185317.jpg IMG_20190612_120458.jpg IMG_20190612_122923.jpg IMG_20190612_120512.jpg IMG_20190605_185319.jpg

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Restoration of a small Italian crawler tractor from 1962 with 28HP air cooled engine.

Had to put new brake liners, rebuild various worn out shafts, bushings and so on. Broken stuff, engine air ducting was full of the nastiest stuff I ever saw. All the oils in the gearbox were full of water.

Before:

IMG_2515.JPG IMG_2508.JPG IMG_2520.JPG

After:

IMG_5017.JPG IMG_5015.JPG IMG_5024.JPG

The mower is also homemade, it's a bit ugly though as it was under the 125th revision :)

·
Administrator
13,509 Posts
That crawler is another beautiful restoration, Pedro. :thThumbsU

·
16,235 Posts
Wow--what an ingenious young man here...Very interesting build--imagination running wild.

glenn

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,043 Posts
That thing is super cool! Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
By the way, the chain drive between the two axles, also serves to correct the difference between the diff ratios since they are different.
Now that's some next level clever. Did you pick the differentials for that reason, or was it a matter of making what you had work?

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Thank you all again!

Now that's some next level clever. Did you pick the differentials for that reason, or was it a matter of making what you had work?
At first we had pick only one diff. The first version of this machine had just one diff on the rear axle. Then the traction would be somewhat transfered to the middle axle by the tracks. Although it worked most of the time, there was a few times that I need traction and the wheels would just slip inside the tracks.

Then a few years later, we tried to find another diff on the cheap and just got something close to the width I needed. I knew it would be an hard task to get the same diff I had.

Anyways, this ended up working better for me as the diff rotated in opposite directions from each other when facing forward. So this allowed be to mount the diffs facing each other and just add the chain drive. If I recall correctly, on diff is 4.1:1 and the other is 3.8:1 ratio, So I had to compensate for this mismatch. I've good maybe 3 to 4% error between the two.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts