My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First day on this site and have already learned a lot.

As I just posted in the "Introductions" section:
I registered with MTF this morning, after buying a used JD 165 Hydro last night.

I have an STX38, but the deck finally s**t the bed last fall...wayyyy beyond any welding help...and couldn't find a used deck locally for reasonable $$.

So, a buddy calls me at 6:00 last night to say that there's a JD for sale about 1/2 mile from my house! Took a drive over, met the guys (they happen to be into restoring American muscle cars!) and ended up buying the 165 Hydro for $125.

Starts well (with a hammer whack from time to time), runs well.

Wondered why the deck adjustment didn't seem top work well last night, while I was mowing a way-overgrown lawn. After seeing it in daylight, now I know.

So, now some specific questions:

Where do I find parts diagrams for this?
I've looked at ereplacementparts.com, but they do not provide any PNs, nor part descriptions.

I pulled the seat and controls cover (not sure if that's the right term, but I trust that you get my gist) off this afternoon to do some cleanup and investigation, specifically looking for the problem with the deck height adjustment.

Lo and behold, the deck height adjustment mechanism connects to NOTHING! so now that I know why it doesn't work, how do I fix it? (I'd post some pics, but it looks like I cannot. Perhaps with your reference to a parts diagram, I'll be better able to describe what I have seen.)

Next question, this one re: empty nipple on fuel tank (again, no pics):
looking down on the tank, with the rear of the tank at noon, there's a male black plastic nipple that looks like it is part of the molded tank at about 1:00. On my machine, no hose connects to it. ??

Many thanks in advance for your insights.

Phil

·
Registered
67 Posts
go directly to the JD site under parts breakdown, has greatly helped me with my 185's!! the nipple on the tank is a breather hole and if you look at the site youll see whats needed for the height linkage.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The nipple is the vent for the tank, it takes a 1/8" hose (might be 3/16 I forget) but it goes around the filler neck and down the back of the tank near the frame, might even be a hole to hold it in place.

While you have the seat pan off, thoroughly clean the top of hydro of grass and debris and also inspect the cooling fan. especially if it's the hydro that has the belt and fan blade on the side right behind the right tire. Those blades are known to get broken.

As for the deck adjustment we really need pictures to see what's missing or broken.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks.

would love to post the pics i have, but cannot.
does one need to pay to post pics on this forum?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Hope you still have the spring. The lever mounts below you will need the seat pan off to see how it works

·
Registered
645 Posts
thanks.

would love to post the pics i have, but cannot.
does one need to pay to post pics on this forum?
No cost to post but you have to be a registered member which you are at this point. I'm on my phone oherwise i'd post a screen shot to show you where to add pics to your messages.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Maybe these will help:

MOWER LIFT LEVER AND LIFT SHAFT
MOWER LIFT LEVER AND LIFT SHAFT (CONTINUED)

Cart KEY PART NO. PART NAME QTY SERIAL NO. 130 160 165 REMARKS
1 M78508 CAP SCREW 1
2 M82417 SPACER 1
3 M82478 LATCH 1
4 24H1621 WASHER 1 11/32" X 1" X 0.220"
5 M40514 SNAP RING 2
6 M89537 ROD 1 LATCH
7 M40011 GRIP 1
8 M40067 PIN 1
9 R359FN SPRING 1
10 24H1286 WASHER 1 (SUB FOR M40065)
11 AM101610 SHAFT 1 X X
AM102234 SHAFT 1 X
12 N105572 SNAP RING 1
13 AM103406 STOP 1 (SUB FOR AM101568)
14 M89632 KNOB 1
15 M71601 ROD 1 (SUB FOR M89638)
16 M88185 EXTENSION SPRING 1 X X
17 M70523 BRACKET 1 X X
18 M40461 SPRING LOCKING PIN 1 X X
19 03M7185 BOLT 2 X X M8 X 25
20 M89806 STOP 1
21 14M7273 NUT 2 M8

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK guys, here are some pics:

First is the gas tank nipple @ 4:00

Second and third show large height adjustment rod and the end of the mower deck adjustments. Neither of which connect to anything!

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Marz,

As for parts diagrams, I finally found them on the JD site. (I didn't know enough to look for the preface "2055".)
Much better now! Thank you .

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
This should clear this one up :fing32:
Some have the hose hang below the fender deck or near to.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Herd, this is super helpful.
From your first diagram, #13 doesn't connect to anything. Does it rest atop the pin at the bottom of #11, or is it bolted to the flat plate at the bottom of #11?

In your second image, my #15 is just hanging down, unconnected. Looks like I need to connect it, and #20 to the flanges on the mower deck.

Thanks for your help, guys.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Katt, that was easy! I can readily attach some hose to that nipple today!
Thx!

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,948 Posts
Yes, in the second diagram Herd linked to, #15 and #21 are your lift straps for your deck. #15 is the adjustable one one you use for leveling your deck left to right... Yes that #13 in the first diagram is NOT hooked to anything, the rockshaft side plate with the strap pin on it just rests on there... So as you dial in the larger numbers it doesn't allow the rockshaft to fall as far... I've got a 160 torn apart in the yard right now, I could pop out and fire you off some pics so you can confirm what yours looks like, if you want...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
littletractorguy,
any pics you can send will be a huge help!

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,213 Posts
Little late to the party, as usual, but congrats on your score. Hope it's starting to come together.

I'm in the middle of rescuing a 165 Hydro, and just got the fender pan back from the powder coaters last week. While the pan was off, I pressure washed the frame and knocked the 4" thick layer of dirt/grass off the hydro trans. Almost all the fan blades were broken, so I replaced the fan. That was fun, since the frame is in the way. I also discovered one of the trans belt tensioner pulleys was completely seized and the other was super noisy. Those are getting replaced today. Mine also had a seized transmission disengagement rod, so the tractor couldn't be pushed around (man was it fun to drag through the sand where it had been rotting, and up into the back of the truck). Got that freed up last week.

My deck is still attached, so maybe I can supply photos that help you, shot from above with the fender removed. Lemme know.

Regarding that vent for the fuel tank, the original location of the clear vent hose is to run it all the way down the front of the tank, wrap it around the raised round boss, down low, and then bring it all the way back up, and around the opposite side of the fuel filler neck, and dangle down the back of the tank. Then it's originally held in place with stick foam tape, in 2 places. Look at KATT's photo. In the 12 o'clock position, just "above" his clear line, see the 2 narrow channels? That's where the clear hose goes.....down the channel on the left, around that lump you see further forward at 12 o'clock, and the back up and through the channel on the right. A piece of tape goes over this channel location, and the other piece of tape goes down at the front of the tank. The idea is probably (I'm guessing) that this keeps dirt out of the tank, where a short hose, or no hose, would allow dirt an easier path.

I use the parts diagrams on jdparts.com often, and then order from Ken at Bombergers JD dealership in PA. He's their ebay sales rep. Great guy, great prices, fast shipping. There's a ton of 160/165/170/175/180/185 stuff on ebay. Very popular machines with what appears to be a huge cult following. I've rescued a few of them. Love 'em. They run fantastic, mow like they were twice as big as they are, and are just bulletproof. If you liked your STX38 (JD wants almost $600 for just the deck shell) you'll love the 165 1,000 times more.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Austinado,

Yes, pics will help a lot!!
I now understand the hose routing that you described. Thanks. Do you know the hose diameter? I looked at the parts diagram and saw a different routing scheme. (see pic)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Katt,
I have the spring, as you can see, but it's just hanging down...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 134 Posts