My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
THE OLD WHITE RIDER
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mtd 19931s rear discharge deck . I bent a sprindle so I replaced both,all bearings and the $140 cogged belt. Now the blades won't stay timed. It all looks so simple that I'm at a loss and ran out of guesses. thanks for any ideas.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,734 Posts
I'm not familiar with your model deck, but if it is driven by a "V" type belt like 99.9% mowers are, there is no need to "time" the blades, they are desiged to miss each other by having one slightly in front of the other. Only decks that need to be timed are driven by gear belts (have gear teeth molded across the width of the belt).

·
THE OLD WHITE RIDER
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks found the problem, one of the bearing housings was cracked and letting the shaft to to wigggle and skip a tooth on the cogged pulley and let the blades jump time and crash.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Glad you found it. I've heard of, but never seen a timed deck. I don't suppose you have a picture or two for us enquiring minds?

·
THE OLD WHITE RIDER
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can go to mtd.com to get manual model 19931s or 192-931a serial number 1. it's the best cutting deck ever

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
The old Wheel-Horse we had when I was a kid had a timed, rear-discharge deck. As I recall, there was a shaft with bevel gears to keep the blades in time. The bearings or gears were worn enough that it would jump time, so we didn't use it.

It did have a front-mounted sickle bar that we used to mow rough terrain with, however.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts