My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Money Pit
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across a failed MTD vertical shaft engine yet? I have owned quite a few now and all have seemed to be outstanding engines. I cant wait to get my hands on a failed engine so I can open one up. Just by visual inspection they seem to be extremely well built. Any thoughts or hands on thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have seen a few. There is no point other than curiosity or warranty assessment opening them up as parts are not available, it's either a short block or new engine. Our local shop gave up doing warranty for them, too much aggravation.

·
2,828 Posts
It could be either a Kohler or a B&S ..I don't think MTD is using Kawasakis ...each brand has its fans ....and bashers...they are not MTD products ...and I generally see the machines that they are on fall apart around them..MTD is not really synonymous with good quality equipment..... .people who buy MTD products are typically looking for something inexpensive, and tend to neglect maintenance...so you wind up with an engine that has black oil, a fouled plug and clogged air filter....but still starts, the blade is bent, bolts are missing from the handle and the wheels are falling off of it :tango_face_sad:
If you want to see inside one...look for someone throwing one away on garbage night ...or place a wanted ad on Craigslist or facebook market for a throw away

1 - 3 of 3 Posts