My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a mtd yard man 17.5 hp/42 deck (year 2002) and need help hooking up new battery! there is a normal red wire and black, but there is a green wire with fuse , were does that one bolt to, pos or neg on battery? or does it bolt to frame somewere? seems like that is the wire to charge battery but im not sure! any diagram for this modle?

also this mower has a auto tranny, is that a hydro tranny? it dont have no pump and the diagram i seen on there mtd site shows it as a gear to gear type!
can i change oil if it has any?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
someone must know what this green wire goes to!!!
i will get a pic and post in a few
maybe something the P.O did but looks like it a stock wire job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
while taking the picture, i looked at it a little more and i now think its a ground for the wire harness, lights, ect... ill bet it goes on neg terminal of battery, hope im right!!!

the wire in question is the green one one the bottom right side of pic with ring terminal on it!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone know where it goes i dont really want to burn my wire harness!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
How big is the ring? Big enough to fit on the battery post?? If so, follow the wire to the other end and it should go to ground ( frame,etc. )

·
Registered
24 Posts
that looks like the one on mine, and the fuse is for the ignition switch, when that fuse goes, nothing works. I'm sure mine has that green wire to, I'll look and see where it goes, on these tractors, green isn't nessessarlly ground like you might think, if it has a fuse in it, the fuse is most normally on the hot side (+), not on ground, don't hook anything up yet, I'll look at my tractor when I get home, I think it hooks to the positive side of the starter solenoid, but not sure.

I'll take a picture of the solenoid, fuse, and all the wiring in that area and post it up here

SC

·
Registered
24 Posts
Normally you don't fuse the ground...
that's my thoughts exactly, I think the green wire goes to the starter post on the solenoid, but don't want to say for sure until I look at mine, but at this point, I think mine i set up the same way wheelhorse's is, but I'm at work right now and can't go look until I get home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
here's some pictures of mine, I was wrong in my assumption, my green wire has nothing to do with the fuse, the fuse on mine has two red wires coming off it, on wheelhorse's, it looks like two green wires, and that other green wire that has the terminal end on it, I don'tr think is connected to the fuse holder.

my green wire goes to ground, you can see it grounded out through the solenoid mounting bolt on the left side of the solenoid.

so if yours is the same as mine, then it would go to ground, and taking a second look at your picture, it doesn't look to me like it has anything to do with the fuse holder, it just happens to be green as your fuse holder wires are.

so I don't know what to say on this one, but here's pictures of mine anyway, just for reference.

oh yeah, and the other end of my green wire goes to the back of the ignition switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was looking at the picture I just posted some more, and then went back out to the tractor and took another look, and that green wire with the terminal on the end of it, also has a black wire coming out of that same terminal, that black wire goes to the negative side of the battery, so mine is NOT the same as yours.

what I'd do, if you have a VOM, (Volt Ohm meter) is check the continuity of that green wire, check it against tractor ground, and see if you have continuity, that should tell you if it's a ground wire or a hot wire, if it's ground, it would go to one of mounting lugs on the solenoid, if it's hot, it would go to one of the hot posts on the solenoid.

just my 2 cents

1 - 12 of 12 Posts