My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently fixing up a 1990 Mtd Lawn Tractor got the mower running and waiting for new belts to come. i was thinking of pulling the axle off and taking it apart to put new grease/ lubricant in it.

My question is it worth taking it apart or should i just run it as is. i have no reason as of now to believe that there is something wrong with it

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
likely it has the clay based grease bentonite and that's either hard to find and expensive. If it's running fine why bother.

·
Another project? Why not!
171 Posts
I did that with a 2006 White (also made by MTD) that I used to have.

I pulled everything apart, cleaned off all the components in the parts washer, and made sure to pull out all of the old, hardened grease. I repacked everything with heavy duty red grease (can't recall the brand), and the transmission still ran fine after all that. In the end, it wasn't at all necessary for me to do all of this, but I did learn about the inner workings of the transmission.

If you do end up doing this, make sure to either use the same grease that was in there, or be sure you completely clean out all the old grease before changing to a different one. Some of them are incompatible with each other, and can cause issues when the grease breaks down (and can't do its job properly).

If it is a closed system (i.e. no drain or fill holes), and the transmission works fine once the new belts are installed, then I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts