My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I picked up my new to me MTD990, it looks like the bracket for the starter/generator looks like it was broken or lost and needs to be replaced.

Any idea where I can get one?

The starter generator looks like it may have a problem as well. When it works, it is slow to turn the engine over. When it does not, it sounds like the starter is spinning, but it does not turn the engine. If it turns out to be bad, any help on finding a replacement, or how to fix it would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Blacksmith
836 Posts
I had a problem with my starter/generator and I thought I would have to buy a new one, but I took it apart and cleaned all the contacts, wire connections and commutator. It now starts very strong. When the contacts wires etc. are corroded they increase the resistance and you do not get the full current when starting. To clean the commutator use sand paper or emery cloth then clean out the connecting space with a tooth pick to make sure the metal filings do not short out each other.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Depending on what style bracket you have I might be of help. I have one I am willing to get rid of if its the right one. fleji send me a PM and I will send you a picture of what I have.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The original bracket going to the top part of teh starter in completly gone and repalced by what appears to be a bunch of flat washers welded together to forma bracket. Its a really creative idea to the problem, but something I would prefer to repair with the correct part.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kingwood990,

I finnaly had a chance to get back to the MTD this weekend. I ended up using the upper and lower brackets I got from you. The original upper bracket was trash, but the lower one looked good until I took everything apart and found that someone had elongated the holes to allow a larger bolt to be used, but caused the belt to be misalligned.

blacksmithman,

I also took your avice and too tke generatopr/start apart and cleaned it up. I used two cans of brake cleaner to get all of the crude out, then used some 600 grit sand paper to lcean the commutator.

I put the brackets and starter/generator back on today and it started right up.

Everyone, thanks for all of the help. I still have more work to do, but things are moving in the correct direction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts