My Tractor Forum banner

MTD 990 Kit

17K views 107 replies 14 participants last post by  Sawdust513 
#1 ·
This was posted on FB marketplace in the Detroit area. The owner offered to exchange halfway. About 1hr 20mins drive. This was a restore project that the owner lost interest. Everything but a seat and seat spring. This was a working tractor used to mow the Wayne State Univ. campus.

3pt hitch, good tires, good dash tower, engine honed, carb rebuilt, mower deck is nice but needs spindle bearings replaced.

1979 with a 1978 engine. Stickers are still on the dash tower.

$150 for the lot. Needless to say I am delighted.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I got the tires on and the wheels mounted so it is rolling and steering.

Attachments

#5 ·
Great Score!

#9 · (Edited)
The 50" deck is not as nice as it looks so it is parted out.
The blade baffle is gone, the gear box is cracked on the top side, and two of the three blade spindles need bearings. I will replace the bearings and sell the spindle set. Will sell the idler pulleys also, which are tight.

Attachments

#10 ·
Found the spindles to be unobtainium. MTD part number 741-0211 or 941-0211.
So the spindles are scrap.
Looks like the bearings may be pressed into the outer shell.
Anyone ever try to press the bearings and spindle out of these?

Attachments

#12 ·
Ive never had one apart so cant help ya there... but I have 2 or 3 old rusty 42" decks that I got from littletractorguy... if they have the same spindles I Might have a spare. I just recently put my Columbia deck on the 960 that I got from him and was surprised how quiet it is so I dont think I need any parts off those spare decks.

It may be possible to find some modern and readily available spindles/pulleys/blades and modify the deck to use those.... bit of grinding/welding involved but Im sure it wouldnt be too hard to do.

#13 ·
I already have a nice 50" deck so I will just keep some of the spares and sell the extras.
My deck has easily replaceable spindle bearings.

#14 · (Edited)
The deck spindles do not want to be pressed apart so they are in the scrap pile.

Both drive shaft u-joints are bad. I do not like that task.

The charge pump makes a noise I never heard before. I can hear the 6 carrier rollers clicking as the shaft is rotated by hand. I am not sure if this a bad thing.

Attachments

#15 ·
Are you sure the spindles press apart? For my Gravely zeroturn (which Gravely would prefer I buy whole new spindles for when they wear out), my dad figured out that the spindle shaft was screwed together (like a nut & bolt, just without the hexes), with a dose of red loctite to require heat to get it apart. Saved me a bunch of money by just replacing the bearings...

Maybe use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel to cut one of the old spindles in half (in the direction the spindle is) and see how the spindle goes together?

#16 · (Edited)
Getting closer to try starting the engine. The starter generator passed the function test. Swapped to a better drive shaft.
One thing missing is the PTO lever spring.
There is a complete B&S carb kit. Will do that soon.
The transaxle needs oil yet as it was drained.

The PO made a new steering shaft but did not drill the hole for the steering wheel.:tango_face_plain:

The rock shaft is also new but no holes for the lift brackets on each side. I don't have the means to drill an accurate hole through the center of these shafts. How about they get welded on? The left side is welded on these tractors anyways.

Custom brake peddle. New speed control lever and lift valve lever.

Attachments

#17 ·
Tried starting the engine. Very little if any spark. The points were set well at .020. Looks like the fan cover is coming off.
The magneto is new.

Attachments

#19 ·
Hard to tell if they are new. I filed the points. I will try unhooking the condenser.

#20 · (Edited)
Checked for spark with the condenser unhooked with no difference, very minute spark if the end is held very close to ground.
With the fan cover off, seeing the magneto was not new. Only the points wire is new.
Tried flipping the magneto but now difference.

I looked on Ebay for the magneto and Floyd's Outdoor Power had a used one listed for $15. They are a 20 minute motorcycle ride away. The VTX ran flawlessly.

Installed the magneto and have full spark. The engine fired instantly.:tango_face_smile_bi

Noticed the lift cylinder is leaking now that the hydraulic oil is installed.:tango_face_plain:

Attachments

#21 ·
I have a gremlin in the engine. No spark again after it fired a couple times. Time to walk away for awhile.

#22 ·
Yep.. sometimes its best to walk away.

What motor is in the vtx?? those are bigger than my little Honda... I have a Shadow 1100.. put about 250km on today riding to Drumheller... I go every thurs during the summer for a 'Bike Night' at a place called Top Rocker Motorcycle Gear. Was almost too hot earlier this aft but the evening ride home was perfect weather.

#23 ·
2004 VTX 1300 purchased new. Long rides hurt too much any more. My hands and back are not up to much more than 100 miles at a time. Group rides are ok with stops for refreshments.:trink21:

#25 ·
The magneto from Floyd's OP has a bad internal connection at the spark wire. Wiggle the wire and it will connect to give a good resistance reading of 5000 ohms. Otherwise it reads open. Have a new magneto ordered from Ebay.

#27 ·
This post is for Steve from a private message.
Showing a mower deck roller shaft and caster wheels in place of the rollers.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.