My Tractor Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts
I didn't realize my green tractor was an 860 not a 960, with it being 14hp. Thanks for that tip, lance! Really want to make me a dash for it soon.
On a side note does anyone have a high-mount generator tractor to get belt size? Mine burned up and couldn't really be measured...it got slung into the woods by the engine and disappeared. You all have impressive tractors and fleets. Looking forward to making mine better as the years keep on!

set the start/gen about midway in its adjustment limits, wrap a 1/4" rope around the pulleys and measure that(inches) where it overlaps.... put an "A" in front of that number and thats the belt you need from any automotive supplier. 14hp and 4 spd would be an 860... often labelled as "Fourteen Hundred"

FYI... although the 960/990 are often referred to as being part of the 900 series they actually more similar to the earliier "Ten Hundred", "Twelve Hundred" and "Fourteen Hundred" tractors... the 900 Series didnt start until the late 70s and those have a completely differant frame design.

set the start/gen about midway in its adjustment limits, wrap a 1/4" rope around the pulleys and measure that(inches) where it overlaps.... put an "A" in front of that number and thats the belt you need from any automotive supplier. 14hp and 4 spd would be an 860... often labelled as "Fourteen Hundred"

FYI... although the 960/990 are often referred to as being part of the 900 series they actually more similar to the earliier "Ten Hundred", "Twelve Hundred" and "Fourteen Hundred" tractors... the 900 Series didnt start until the late 70s and those have a completely differant frame design.
My 860 is just a "Unico 14hp" my 990 on the other hand is a "MTD 1600 Hydrostatic". They're both early dated at '72 and '73. The 860 drags hard once you get three or four fat guys hanging off the fenders and hood. :tango_face_wink:
It's running the trans from a 13hp 860 that had a 16hp block swapped in at some point. Cheap parts tractor, supplied me an entire electrical system, too...

check out the links in my sig, the Bolens RaM is still a worker but its also my best looking tractor. Im not brand bias, I like differant tractors for differant reasons, and there isnt many brands that I havent owned or worked on at some point... and nothing Pulls like an MTD 960... 990 is real close tho;)
Nice Bolens Lance.
My Bolens is not old enough to be of much interest to collectors but it was a free tractor that I did up and
It is a hard worker in winter.

Attachments

This was posted on FB marketplace in the Detroit area. The owner offered to exchange halfway. About 1hr 20mins drive. This was a restore project that the owner lost interest. Everything but a seat and seat spring. This was a working tractor used to mow the Wayne State Univ. campus.

3pt hitch, good tires, good dash tower, engine honed, carb rebuilt, mower deck is nice but needs spindle bearings replaced.

1979 with a 1978 engine. Stickers are still on the dash tower.

$150 for the lot. Needless to say I am delighted.
This was posted on FB marketplace in the Detroit area. The owner offered to exchange halfway. About 1hr 20mins drive. This was a restore project that the owner lost interest. Everything but a seat and seat spring. This was a working tractor used to mow the Wayne State Univ. campus.

3pt hitch, good tires, good dash tower, engine honed, carb rebuilt, mower deck is nice but needs spindle bearings replaced.

1979 with a 1978 engine. Stickers are still on the dash tower.

$150 for the lot. Needless to say I am delighted.
OMG did you have to look at it long before you said yes. I would have reluctantly while biting my tongue & wiping my sweat said weellll ok then take off not looking back for miles. Congrats on a fantastic find.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.