My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 108 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I have a gremlin in the engine. No spark again after it fired a couple times. Time to walk away for awhile.

Yep.. sometimes its best to walk away.

What motor is in the vtx?? those are bigger than my little Honda... I have a Shadow 1100.. put about 250km on today riding to Drumheller... I go every thurs during the summer for a 'Bike Night' at a place called Top Rocker Motorcycle Gear. Was almost too hot earlier this aft but the evening ride home was perfect weather.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
2004 VTX 1300 purchased new. Long rides hurt too much any more. My hands and back are not up to much more than 100 miles at a time. Group rides are ok with stops for refreshments.:trink21:

Yep... know what thats like... lower back is feelin it this morning a bit... mind you I was also on a little Yamaha Enduro for a bit yesterday so Im sure that didnt help. Thats a customers bike, I got it running yesterday morning so I took it out in the pasture for a test ride... prob not the best decision at my age but it was still fun.Lol

Discussion starter · #25 ·
The magneto from Floyd's OP has a bad internal connection at the spark wire. Wiggle the wire and it will connect to give a good resistance reading of 5000 ohms. Otherwise it reads open. Have a new magneto ordered from Ebay.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
This post is for Steve from a private message.
Showing a mower deck roller shaft and caster wheels in place of the rollers.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Received and installed the new B&S magneto this morning. Still had a gremlin and would not fire even though there was good spark. Only thing left was the flywheel key. Removed the FW nut which was just about finger tight. Indeed it was sheared. PO put lithium grease on the tapered surface.
When it last fired, the FW slipped. My local repair shop had an aluminum key and after installing it, tightened the FW nut with a very large wrench.
It instantly fired up and the carb adjusted nicely.
Time for a celebration drink.

Discussion starter · #30 · (Edited)
Today was productive. New fuel hose and filter. Mount 2 safety switches. Installed seat. Align steering and adjust hydro lever for neutral center. Took it for a drive and checked the hi-lo gears and reverse. Motor runs and idles down nice.
PTO engagement needs work done. Checked lift cylinder and the leak is from the shaft seal. Was hoping it to be a loose hose.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Wired the starter circuit with solenoid so jumper cables no longer needed.
2 new belts for the PTO and replaced the idler pulley.
Painted the starter generator.
Installed foot plates then drove it around the yard. Motor is strong but not sure if the governor is working.
Using a Harley rag until the lift cylinder gets new o-rings.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Welded the lift arms to the rockshaft. Greased and oiled everything underneath. Installed OEM spring to the PTO assy. Found it on Ebay.
Spent time cleaning and painting the rear frame cover (tunnel). All went well until the second coat of paint that wrinkled. Was able to get it off with mineral spirits. Will sand and try again tomorrow.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Painted and installed the frame cover and tool tray.

Attachments

Did you paint all the frame, engine etc? I picketed up a 960 a few days ago and while the tins need TLC and paint, I was amazed that once I degunked the caked on dirt and dust, all the black looked almost new. They must have used a better paint and prep on these parts and stood up better over time than my Bolens or Massy seem to have.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
The PO sand blasted the frame and most of the other parts, like the wheels. Anything that was not painted was very rusty. All of the tins are very rusty. The fenders have deep rust pits. I have a better pair from an older tractor. The tunnel is very rusty and I used a better one that cleaned up nicely.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Mounted the mower deck lift carriage and 3 pt hitch. Finding fasteners, pins, bushings, locking nuts, hitch pins and shoulder bolts is time consuming. Took all day to get these on. Pull rods and clevis ends needed threads chased.

Found a front PTO pulley.

Would like to get the tins sand blasted to bare metal.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Removed the front axle to install thrust bearings on the spindles. Greased the axle pivot and the frame channel for the axle.

Dash repair, wiring and tins are left to do.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.