My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finaly its here! (original thread: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=138625 ) it was delivered at around 8:50AM this morning. havn't really done much to it yet, im on my way to work soon. from what i can tell needs to be done; it needs the engine shroud take off, i beleive mice have moved in. the brake will need some adjusting, its either 100% brake or no brake at all. carb was rebuilt? (i think thats what the seller said) any who it will need to be adjusted. engine runs for a couple seconds then floods its self out. (sounds like a stuck float) the tiller shroud needs to be put back on, no big deal. it was taken off for easier transport. the hydraulic lines all look pretty good. the frame is good. the filter on the trans looks like it will need to be replaced. i think i'll just do a complete fluid change on this thing. also the engine oil is lower then i'd like it to be. the tiller looks to be in good shape, tines look good. the gear box is gonna need a new seal soon. heres pics at my house...

Attachments

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3 more pictures... by the way, does know where i can get a manual for this thing? perferably free.:trink39:

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Dang Benn, you've been had. That's a 989!
:ROF just kidding.

Very nice looking machine. You will enjoy every minute with it.

Free manuals can be had from the MTD online archive.

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Public.do

Simply put in the model # 144-990 for a 1984 or 1974. Enter 1 for the serial number and you are good to go.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
D-dogg!! You actually scared me there! That same idea popped into my head just after the seller left. "I wonder if it's an actual 990" I don't know these tractors to well yet so I was never really sure. All I knew was that it was big and it had a 3 point. Thanks for the link there good buddy! I'll check that out after work. What type of hydro fluid and filter does this take? The filter looks pretty dang old on this tractor, I think it's delco filter but I'm not sure.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
They use pretty much any standard oil filter. I think a Fram PH16 is called out in the manuals.

Kingwood990 and I exchanged a few posts about tranny fluid. It does vary depending upon the year, so let's clarify the year first before we head out to Princess Auto (who btw, sells brake pucks for go-karts which will work on these).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Very nice find.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Good deal Benn. I would love to own a 990.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Nice find Benn.

·
MTD 990 Twactor Guy
574 Posts
Lookin' good! :thThumbsU

Glad you finally got it home. BTW - the brake is to be used as a parking brake only, so that's the way it operates - no brake or all the way!

Enjoy your 990!

Rich

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts

Glad you finally got it home. BTW - the brake is to be used as a parking brake only, so that's the way it operates - no brake or all the way!

Enjoy your 990!

Rich
Rich, I got my son's to where it works just like my JD 318. Press the brake slightly and the speed lever moves slowly toward neutral. Press it sharply and the speed lever snaps quickly to neutral. I'll be darned if I can get the parking brake lock to work right though.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Enjoy your 990!

Rich
RIIGHHT!!! im a hydro nooby, this is my first one out many tractors that i've owned. nuetral position is like the brake am i correct? in that case i wont touch the disc brake. i'll be pulling the engine shrouding off tomorrow to get rid of the mouse nest in there. what trans fluid should i use sae 20?

i just got back from work, i'll be throwing a battery in their tonight and see if we cant get it running right. i take it there's no pressure release valve when moving the tractor by hand, just make sure everything is in nuetral right?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
RIIGHHT!!! im a hydro nooby, this is my first one out many tractors that i've owned. nuetral position is like the brake am i correct? in that case i wont touch the disc brake. i'll be pulling the engine shrouding off tomorrow to get rid of the mouse nest in there. what trans fluid should i use sae 20?

i just got back from work, i'll be throwing a battery in their tonight and see if we cant get it running right. i take it there's no pressure release valve when moving the tractor by hand, just make sure everything is in nuetral right?
My 1972 calls for 20wt, but like I said, Kingwood990 and I got to discussing it in another thread, and after reviewing manuals over an 8 or 9 year period, it became clear that there is a varience in the fluid required.

And yes, you want to fix that brake! It isn't that hard to do and these guys will roll a good bit in neutral, depending upon the condition of the hydro.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
In my 990 (1974) I have been running type F ATF, but like D-Dogg said there are different fluids for different years.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In my 990 (1974) I have been running type F ATF, but like D-Dogg said there are different fluids for different years.
mine is a '74 also. 'least thats what the engine is.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just discovered something. no spark... engine turns over nicely good compression but no spark. good chance the points need to be cleaned but i think the mice appartment under the shroud is the cause of this.

·
Banned
2 Posts
just discovered something. no spark... engine turns over nicely good compression but no spark. good chance the points need to be cleaned but i think the mice appartment under the shroud is the cause of this.

time to evict them little buggers ...I hate when you find a nest up under the flywheel or the tin usually they like to eat the spark plug wire and pee all over the points and condenser..I had to go find 2 coils for an 18 hp brigs twin I/C because they chewed up both spark plug wires ..Good thing i found 2 good used ones ...Good luck on the build benn if you need anything look me up i know a few fellows around kingston i could hook you up with to find parts if need be

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Clean the mice nests before you do anything.

Disconnect the kill wire, and make sure the points are set to 0.020".

Also, I'm trying to remember what Kingwood990 and I figured out about your model year. I think is was the model year which specified ONLY type F ATF. Other years had several fluids to choose from.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
time to evict them little buggers ...I hate when you find a nest up under the flywheel or the tin usually they like to eat the spark plug wire and pee all over the points and condenser..I had to go find 2 coils for an 18 hp brigs twin I/C because they chewed up both spark plug wires ..Good thing i found 2 good used ones ...Good luck on the build benn if you need anything look me up i know a few fellows around kingston i could hook you up with to find parts if need be
thanks roughrider. theres a guy i go to up on montreal street that has alot of old garden tractors, whenever i need parts i go there. i may have gone to you one time??? im not sure i got some riding lawn mower tires of some guy near division street sometime last year, may or may not have been you... i got the manual specific to my tractor and it calls for type F trans fluid. i checked the levels and its very low, it only shows up on the dipstick by less then a 1/4". so this week im focusing on the spark problem and trans fluid change. this being my first hydrostat. do i need to prime or purge the lines after i've done the change??? or is just as simple as an oil change?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts