My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since MTD can't help me, I'm hopeing someone here may be able to.

I have an MTD OEM-190-823. I'm trying to mount it on my 2004 TB 42" Bronco 13AT609G766. The problem is in following the snowblower manual I did not install the idler pully since I do not have a 54" deck (as per the instructions). I did not install the idler assembly since I do not have an electric PTO (once again, as per the instructions). I ordered the belt 754-0481 since my 42" deck only has a single belt deck.

I put it all together route the undercarriage belt to the main pully, and the belt is about 12 inches too long. There is no possible way to route the belt any differently. I spoke with MTD a fewtimes, and they promised me a call back later that day. Of course I have not gotten that call back, and it's now two days later.

I did run a line around the pullys in the proper routing path and measured it out in the area of 73".

Anyone ever run into this issue and does it seem like getting a 73" belt would be the proper course of action?:banghead3

For reference, here is the instruction manual for the thrower http://support.mtdproducts.com/ci/fattach/get/82734/1328280734/filename/769-01933d.pdf

And my mowers PTO diagram http://www.mtdparts.com/webapp/wcs/..._(2004)/PTO_&_Battery/07001590-B/070015900006

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
How about some pictures??

Sounds like your manuals are out the window since you do not have exactly what they are referring to.

Can you mount the idler pulley anywhere(further back) and make the belt work? And wondering how you are running a belt without it??

If your only problem is needing a shorter belt to make it work. Go for it ,,as long as it is clear of everything.

How do you engage or dis-engage it?? And what happens, with belt,,when attachment is lifted??

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Buy the belt, kevlar wrapped that is. Not a fan belt. Re-run the rope and mark it off. Bring the rope to the parts dealer and let him size it, not that your measuring stick is wrong, but then it's his fault if it's long/short.
Make sure you run the rope correctly, and get the proper belt width.
Lastly, ask if the dealer will accept a belt return if it still doesn't fit. My NAPA dealer gladly accepted returns as long as they weren't covered in grease and were re-saleable.

I've been thru this same problem a couple times, putting mismatched accessories or different machines. So far, with patience, they're all still working (surprisingly).
Good luck.

ps:make sure the snow auger spins the correct way when routing the belt, IN at the bottom, OUT at the top.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Don't know what you have, but all belts need some adjustment. They tend to get longer with use. The idler pulley can take care of this by adjustment or spring tension. I have never had a belt on anything that didn't have some type of adjustment.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I used a rope for a idea to get a belt size once before.

I had a rope,, I thought was about the size of a 1/2 belt. I ran it through all the pulleys and marked it. Then cut it off,,,and taped it together fairly strong.

Put it back on tractor and it seemed it was the perfect length. It was actually pretty tight.

So took it to parts dealer,,he come out with a 76" belt. I tried it,,and it was way too short. I went back and forth 6 different times,,getting a bigger belt each time.
Ended up needing a 103" belt. It looked nothing like the rope as far as length. And just holding them together ,,could put the rope inside the belt,,but yet the rope fit tight on the pulleys,,and so did the belt.

Still has me confused today how that could be. But I did get the right belt.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
I just looked up your snow blower. It calls for belt #MTD 954-0125A which is 104 1/2 "long . Hmmmmm?
I have this same blower OEM-190-823. It has 2 belts.

flash5153, the 754-0125A 104-inch belt you refer to is the "lower V-belt". This runs between the lower half of the undercarriage assembly and the snowblower drive pulley.

I believe the OP is referring to the "upper V-belt", which runs between the upper half of the undercarriage assembly and the engine pulley. In the blower manual parts list the upper V belt is listed with 3 part numbers:
754-0371A 5/8 x 74" Called out in Electric PTO section
754-0435 1/2 x 74" Not referenced outside of parts list
754-0481 5/8 x 85.6" Called out in Manual PTO section

Joe.Frisbie, the first thing to consider is if you are mounting this blower to a tractor that it wasn't designed for, you can't really take the manual instructions quite that literally. Just because you don't have a 54" deck doesn't mean you won't need the idler pulley like the manual says. They wrote those instructions based on the geometry of various decks and engine pulley locations of the tractor or tractor family it was designed for.

More than likely you'll need to find a new belt that fits best. Buy 3 or 5 at a time in different sizes, try them on to see which one is closest, and return the rest. If none fit, at least you'll have narrowed the lengths down to the two closest - return them all and buy 5 more that are between the two closest lengths, etc. The rope trick will get you in the ballpark (a very large ballpark) but is not very accurate because a rope will tend to seat fully in the pulley grooves while a properly sized belt will ride up out of the groove resting on the flanges and need to be longer than the rope. This makes quite a difference in the length especially with the more pulleys involved.

Not sure it will help, but I have a few threads about modifying and attaching, measuring speed of, winching, and motorizing the lift of my blower. Some pics do show the belt routing. But then again my tractor, while not the one the blower was designed for either, is different from your tractor, so my routing may not apply in your case. But then again it might...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts