My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Servistar (MTD) mower that stalls out when I put it in reverse. Its like the safety switch is engaging even tho the mower deck is not on. Any one have any answers to this? I have tried everything as far as speed selection. It just shuts off when I let out the clutch/brake to go in reverse and as stated earlier the deck is NOT engaged. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I have a Servistar (MTD) mower that stalls out when I put it in reverse. Its like the safety switch is engaging even tho the mower deck is not on. Any one have any answers to this? I have tried everything as far as speed selection. It just shuts off when I let out the clutch/brake to go in reverse and as stated earlier the deck is NOT engaged. Thanks for the help!
I just had this issue on a white by mtd. It was because at the seat there are 2 metal tangs for grounding either the 'blades engaged no reverse cutting no getting off seat' safety or the 'can't get off the seat unless brake on' safety. each tang has a wire connected to it. These 2 tangs are not supposed to touch each other when you are on the seat, but just when they get grounded when you get off the seat. Mine were touching and was allowing a path back to ground for the the circuit that handled the no reverse. Only had effect when brake was far enough out to close the safety switch. I would start backing up as I let the brake out a little but when I let it out all the way it died.
Circuit was " coil to brake switch;brake switch to it's seat tang; that tang to other tang; other tang to reverse switch; reverse switch to ground;

1 - 2 of 2 Posts