My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pics...the lawn tractor came with a mower deck that needed to be removed anyway so i decided to try to attach this snow thrower...so far it looks like it might all line up ok...still have some work to do...the tractor seems to run ok and starts good...still need to get the attachments right and find a belt that fits...

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i don't have a belt that will fit - the ones i have are a bit long and the one that was on the mower deck is too short...i did get the thing turning for just a bit at low speed using the longer belt...it seems to engage and run quite smoothly, which is a good sign...no obvious problems...

need the part # for the belt or at least the length...think it's a 954-0294 1/2 x 89...i can probably pick one up tomorrow at the local parts store...they can make sure im getting the right one...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
turns out i do have a belt that fits...i hung it up downstairs cuz i knew id be needing it...d'oh...so as im attaching this thing for the second or maybe third time, i realize that im missing an idler pulley that would attach to the auger housing...check my extra parts, and i realize i have three...so i put that on, and later on i realize that this pulley will hit the muffler when i try to raise it fully...and it won't go all the way up...and you can't start the tractor unless the lift arm is fully raised...kinda missed that when i was doing the mock up...i recall that there's a way to adjust the pto clutch rod that might fix this but maybe i gotta take the linkage arms off to get to it...dunno will have to figure it out tomorrow...

for today however, i did manage to raise the blower enough with blocks to get the tractor started, and engaged the snow thrower...everything seems to work as it should - a few sparks where that idler pulley hits the muffler but that's fixable - still missing the chute control rod, but that's minor...and i gotta drill a couple of holes in the frame of the tractor that don't seem to be where they need to be but that's not hard either...

this thing still needs some work...the 13 hp white tractor is probably a little underpowered for this job too, but it will do for now...i've got a wards signature 2000 with an 18 hp twin that might be better suited...maybe next winter...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question about mufflers...

i solved the problem of the idler pulley hitting on the muffler by removing the muffler...which creates another problem...no muffler...

i have some recollection of being told that running an engine with just a straight pipe will damage the valves...true or false?

if i can find a smaller muffler that will provide enough clearance for the pulley to raise and lower that would be fine but if it snows anytime soon i may be tempted to just put on some ear protection apologize to the neighbors and give this thing a try...

the engine is a 13.5 hp briggs 311777 0209-E1...i'll post some pics later if i get the chance...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
getting the wheel weights on, and it looks like the chains ive got might fit...it appears that if i can find a piece of flexible pipe of the right dimensions i could run the pipe down the side of the frame under the running board - and if i really applied myself i could mount the old muffler down there...

it's pretty loud the way it is right now, but if it snows tonite, im using it...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chrome stacks would be nice...for now i rigged up some pipe, wire, steel wool and a beer can...it's still a bit loud but it will do til i can come up with something better...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it works but...

had some snow night before last - not too much maybe four inches of heavy wet snow...the snow thrower does work, but i'm not getting a lot of distance - basically it's throwing the snow about three to five feet - enough to clear sidewalks but not too good for the driveway....the snow was kind of wet and heavy so that could be part of it - also the white/mtd tractor im using currently is a 13.5 hp so maybe could use a little more power...i've got an 18 hp MTD but it's a good mower and i figured if i took the deck off i'd never put it back on...the good news is that the chains and wheel weights provide all kinds of good traction even when i got off the driveway into the mud and going uphill...but everything seemed to function as it should - just need to get it to work a bit more efficiently...

i'm thinking that perhaps some lubrication might help - the auger and housing did get wet during The Flood, and i think that the clutch assembly may have sat in a few inches of water as well...not sure it will help but i'm going to get something on the chain and all of the pulleys bearings and friction points i can get to...i might try some belt dressing as well - don't think the belts are loose or slipping but it's an easy thing to try...would have been easier to lube it while i was putting it together...more lessons for next time...d'oh!:banghead3:banghead3

coincidentally i have located (yet another) MTD tractor/snowthrower combination- this one looks like it was completely submerged in the flood waters...haven't spoken to the owner yet, but it might be interesting to see if i could get it going...hope they haven't junked it - at least it would be good for parts...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are you sure your belts is tight enough
think so...ran it again today after a quick lube and a couple shots of belt dressing...once i got into some deeper snow drifts and the governor kicked in i was getting about 12-15'...much better but still looking for improvement...

i'll check the belts to make sure but i don't think they're loose or slipping - always possible...i'm pretty happy with the way it ran today tho...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts