My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hauled home a MTD 16hp tec 42 in cut mower
the previous owner said he never had the right battery & always started it by boosting with the pickup. Some one has cut the battery box out for a regular lawn & garden battery which will not start the mower.
I have gone to the MTD manual & info site & can not find what size battery I need to start this mower. CAN ANY ONE HELP. THANKS IN ADVANCE.................
..............................................................................WOOLY

·
Registered
148 Posts
HI, WOOLY, welcome to the forum. Nice to see someone else unfortunate enough to live in NEBRASKA!!!!!!!!!!! LOL...
I thought I was the only one from this area.
On my tractors I usually try to cut and modify the battery space to fit a small auto battery, about 7 1/2 by 8 1/2 inches. The lawn mower batteries just don't do the job here when its cold. Clean all the connections really well.
Pay particular attention to the ground, (negative) many times this one is bolted on over painted metal. I like to run a ground directly from the battery to a starter mounting bolt, in addition to the factory connections. On a used mower you may need a new starter. Most newer engines have a compression release (for easy spin starting). The portion on the camshaft could be broken. The engine will still run but be hard starting. They will stall the starter or ''kick back'' against it. Keep trying and ask questions, we like to help the members who want to learn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live 25 miles west of Kearney. Fly over country. Small town Overton Ne. I pulled up the owners manual & it shows what looks like a motorcycle battery but does give any battery specs.
Space has been cut out to fit a regular kawn & garden battery like 300cca but no way can I get battery space any bigger than that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts