My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,
I am looking to by my first used tractor and need some imput. The primariy need is to use it to maintain my gravel driveway so I need to be able to mount a blade maybe even a box blade on the back. I found an Mtd 15hp rider with bag. hydro trains 44in cut, a newer model as it is the rounded body style for $300. Would this work, how do I find out if it will work and is this worth the money being asked? I would post picture but I am at work right now.
Thanks in advance for your time and opinion.

:thanku:

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Hard to tell without a picture or model number, but if it's a lawn tractor it likely won't be adequate for what you want to do with it. You'll need a garden tractor that is rated for ground engaging devices. The frame and running gear in a garden tractor is much more rugged than that found in a lawn tractor.

$300 for a good running lawn tractor with a bagger sounds like a good deal, though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to tell without a picture or model number, but if it's a lawn tractor it likely won't be adequate for what you want to do with it. You'll need a garden tractor that is rated for ground engaging devices. The frame and running gear in a garden tractor is much more rugged than that found in a lawn tractor.

$300 for a good running lawn tractor with a bagger sounds like a good deal, though.
Thank you for your insite... did MTD make any garden tractors and if so what models would you suggest I look for?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Thank you for your insite... did MTD make any garden tractors and if so what models would you suggest I look for?

Boatloads of them. 800, 840, can be had inexpensively

990, 998, 996 are all beasts, but can also be found reasonably priced.

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
Boatloads of them. 800, 840, can be had inexpensively

990, 998, 996 are all beasts, but can also be found reasonably priced.
I thought you said there wernt any 840s?

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
As a general rule, look for something that has rear wheels that bolt on with a hub like a car or truck, not just a single bolt in the center.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts