My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I had a surprise just now. Went to turn on this lap top with windows 7 pro on it and got message update in process. I was puzzled as I thought I had automatic update shut off and subject to my OK. When update finished I had MS Edge Browser installed! It had a place for me to click to agree to accept term and conditions and automatic updates. Of course it also had a message that 7 was no longer supported and I should update to newer platform. We have MS Edge on a Windows 10 lap top and like it but I did not want it on 7 as I had heard it did not work correctly on 7 and suspected the next step would to try to force me to ditch windows 7. So I went to uninstall and it would not uninstall! Finally I did a System Restore and got rid of it but then Google would not work. I had to reinstall Google to get it to work. Gotta recheck automatic updates.
Walt Conner
PS: I checked automatic updates and I do have it set to only update when I say to accept!

·
We're all friends here
14,338 Posts
Microsoft has been pushing unrequested updates on Win10 for a couple years. Maybe they are doing it on Win7 now as well.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,563 Posts
Walt, I have been a "never 10" guy for a long time. Have 4 machines at W7 and vowed to stay at 7 as long as possible. One machine, a HP laptop, I intended to give to a person that needed it more than I did and did not want to keep the machine in limbo at 7. So, I carefully got the machine working well at 7 (did a restore and built it back up from the basics). Then, I allowed MS to upgrade it thinking I'd probably end up taking it back to 7. To my surprise, they left me with a machine that was at least as good as it was at 7. I turned off everything I could of the W10 bloat and, long story short, did the same to my other machines. I also installed my Vista Windows Mail program on them. Very happy with them all. You may know things about W10 that I don't, but from what I see, it is way better than the W10 I first experimented with several years ago. And, no more messages reminding me that the "end is near"!
Gerald

·
15,000 +posts!
20,152 Posts
My computer got the browser "highjacked" Saturday night--I turned it on and it came on as usual,I walked away to check food I was cooking,when I returned the screen was dark,then the spinning "buffering" dots and the HP logo appeared--then the screen turned bright blue and said "Updating--do not turn off your computer"...I assumed it was a Windows update and let it finish...and when it was done,like the other poster said,I now had Microsoft "Edge" installed!...

I had my preferences set for "install important updates only",yet this one was forced thru,I guess they felt it was "important"...looking back I should have chosen "let me choose what updates to install"...

I did not click on the "terms of agreement",I clicked on the "X" and closed the Edge page out,and used my usual Chrome,so far the computer seems the same as before,maybe a bit longer to start,and load some sites,but I don't want "Edge",I didn't try deleting it because I have read others had a hard time doing so,and in the end lost some features that used to work..

I know Chrome can be a resource hog,but I get along with it OK...some say "Edge" is better in that respect,but I don't feel like re-learning a lot of things..

I have Windows 8.1 on this computer too...been avoiding getting one with Windows 10,simply because I am not very good at adapting to changes,and it seems every time I get used to something--they force us to ditch it and start with some new browser...(like XP Pro,I was getting very good using that program--till they dumped support for it and it kept getting hacked)...

It is not right they can "force install" Edge if you don't want it!..then make it a headache to get rid of..:mad:

·
Super Moderator
29,910 Posts
My computer got the browser "highjacked" Saturday night--I turned it on and it came on as usual,I walked away to check food I was cooking,when I returned the screen was dark,then the spinning "buffering" dots and the HP logo appeared--then the screen turned bright blue and said "Updating--do not turn off your computer"...I assumed it was a Windows update and let it finish...and when it was done,like the other poster said,I now had Microsoft "Edge" installed!...

I had my preferences set for "install important updates only",yet this one was forced thru,I guess they felt it was "important"...looking back I should have chosen "let me choose what updates to install"...

I did not click on the "terms of agreement",I clicked on the "X" and closed the Edge page out,and used my usual Chrome,so far the computer seems the same as before,maybe a bit longer to start,and load some sites,but I don't want "Edge",I didn't try deleting it because I have read others had a hard time doing so,and in the end lost some features that used to work..

I know Chrome can be a resource hog,but I get along with it OK...some say "Edge" is better in that respect,but I don't feel like re-learning a lot of things..

I have Windows 8.1 on this computer too...been avoiding getting one with Windows 10,simply because I am not very good at adapting to changes,and it seems every time I get used to something--they force us to ditch it and start with some new browser...(like XP Pro,I was getting very good using that program--till they dumped support for it and it kept getting hacked)...

It is not right they can "force install" Edge if you don't want it!..then make it a headache to get rid of..:mad:
Actually most computer uses want their software kept current and updated, mostly for security due to current threat. This isn't true of everyone of course and MS certainly made some missteps with ME and Vista, but otherwise they've been pretty good. Personally, I like Win 10 much better than 8.1, and Edge better than IE (first Edge could be an issue but seems pretty solid now that it is Chromium based).

·
3,181 Posts
Did the same thing to me on W10 yesterday... yes, a bit unpleasing the way it so forcefully introduced itself.

Closed it up and made sure my FF was still the default browser, gtg.

🍻

·
We're all friends here
14,338 Posts
Same here yesterday. I've been using it. Seems OK so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts