My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all of you Firefox users...

Anyone know what sets the icons for the bookmark toolbar buttons?

On my laptop the icon for MTF is the correct icon, but on the desktop I have a leaf like the one used on the GW site!:fing20:

I don't think its a MTF issue, as the icon I use to log onto my home router is the Google "G" and I had nothing to do with that either!

How are the icons changed!

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
While Mozilla is open:
Click edit - click preferences - click appearance - select (put a check in the box) "Show Web Site Icons".

Odd though, I don't show a site icon for MTF under any of my browsers.

HTH!
-=A=-

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check it out...

Cat...

Here is my screen shot.

BTW, I don't have a "preferences" under edit in my version 1.0
Do I need to upgrade?

Also, I had to save this screenshot as an image and upload it to my server, then reference using the insert image link. Is there a shortcut way to do this, or did I use the prefered method? When I do a screen capture, is there a way to save the image as a jpg file from the clipboard? I had to take about 4 steps to get it to spot I could name it and save it!

Thanks again!

Thanks!

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got It!

Admin...!

You did it!:congrats:

I am not sure why it was showing the IP address instead of the name. Guess I was not even paying attention... but when I corrected that problem, the correct icon emerged! and I re-saved the bookmark, and that is now corrected too!

Now I suppose I should get rid of the GW button???

Thanks!

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
glad its working...

that old ip was the original ip before we got the dns up and active.. we sent that ip around to the 'faithful' to let everyone know we had a site up...

the icon you have now is actually a crunched together simplicity icon.. see attachment..

the bulletin service VBulletin had its own little 'VB' icon it used.. i replaced it with the simplicity icon.. but when i add the page to my favorites i never got the little simplicity icon.. im glad it is working.. not sure why it is not working for me... Im using IE but glad it is working...

Attachments

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
I can see the image in my browser window, but not in the address bar of either IE or Mozilla. Hmmm... curious behavior.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I get it in my address bar on OSX/Safari, at home. Don't see it here at work W2K/IE. I'll check out Firfox at home just for curiousity's sake.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
CarDaddy,

When you say "Mozilla", do you mean Firefox or a different browser made by Mozilla?

Greg

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
mbkerk said:
Admin...!

You did it!:congrats:

I am not sure why it was showing the IP address instead of the name. Guess I was not even paying attention... but when I corrected that problem, the correct icon emerged! and I re-saved the bookmark, and that is now corrected too!

Now I suppose I should get rid of the GW button???

Thanks!
I have a stupid question Mark. I have Firefox and have never seen those buttons like you have on top. How do i get those?
Also, i have the latest version of Firefox and I don't have a "preferences" under edit either.

:fing20:
Durwood

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Greg said:
When you say "Mozilla", do you mean Firefox or a different browser made by Mozilla?
Firefox is an offshoot of the original Mozilla Project. It & Thunderbird e-mail are now off on their own development branch (even though they maintain many important similarities to their progenitor). When I say Mozilla, I mean Mozilla - version 1.7.5 - sometimes referred to as Mozilla Suite (it has the browser, e-mail, spell-checker, HTML editor, IRC chat, DOM inspector, Debugging tools, Error reporting). I'm getting ready to migrate to 1.7.6 this weekend.

I installed Firefox on almost all the machines in the microlab at school. And I use it there. I guess I'll have to install FireFox on my home machine to keep up with the questions. :D

Additionally, I strip away/disable a lot of the 'cutesy' crap from ALL my browsers. I don't use personal toolbars, search bars, "go" buttons (to this day, I still can't figure out a good reason for it), sidebars or anything. I even disable icons in my tools bars & use text only. Just left over bad habits from 14" monitor days, I guess.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Angel,

Is the browser in the Mozilla Suite the same as Firefox? Do you use the other tools in the suite much?

Greg

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To Durwood...

Durwood said:
I have a stupid question Mark. I have Firefox and have never seen those buttons like you have on top. How do i get those?
Also, i have the latest version of Firefox and I don't have a "preferences" under edit either.

:fing20:
Durwood
Durwood... Just right click the Bookmarks link (between Go and Tools) and check the "Bookmarks Toolbar." To add a bookmark to the toolbar, just click bookmarks, then bookmark this page, then save it in the bookmarks toolbar folder.

Hope this helps!

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Greg said:
Is the browser in the Mozilla Suite the same as Firefox? Do you use the other tools in the suite much?
Until today, I would have said yes the browsers are the same, but certain photo slideshows don't work in Mozilla that do work in Firefox. So now I have to say, not exactly the same.

I do use the e-mail app exclusively for all my e-mail accounts (home, work, and 'other' - heh). And of course, I use speil chuck. I also use Composer for the few personal webpages I do anymore. I have MS's FrontPage as well - I have to use it for stuff I need to take back and forth to school. I'm not into IRC anymore, but I used to use it to keep in touch with my friends back home.

The integration is pretty tight, without the MS weirdness that I still haven't gotten used to. Maybe it's because I started out as a Mac-ster.

-=A=-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts