My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I was just wondering what its like mowing a residential lawn with a SCUT....a JD 1023/6 with the 60" 7-iron deck for example? What considerations does one need to think about?

Turning radius is much greater on a SCUT.

Heavier machine=ruts on a soft lawn?

Any worry about tearing around corners?

Assuming the deck is clean, level, and has sharp blades, I assume the actual cut of the grass would be just as good as say the X7xx series with the iron deck..true?

So who mows their lawn weekly with a SCUT, and how is it?

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Once you get into the original X4,5 & 700 series and larger they will rut the yard do to their weight unless you mow in a different direction each week. If you mow in the same path every time you mow makes no difference if you have a wet or dry yard it will rut. I currently use a 2305 with a 54" deck and it leaves a very nice finish cut. The 7-Iron would do even better. I run the R4's and HDAP tires which aren't filled. I've got no regrets with the 2305 for it's all around uses. slkpk

·
'11 1026R
360 Posts
I ended up with my new scut too late in the season to cut any grass. I did however mow with a heavy lawn tractor every week. I copied this over from a rimguard debate:

My rears are loaded with rimguard, as was my previous lawn tractor. I would highly recommend it for stability on slopes, especially if you get on a wet sloping area while mowing in 2wd. The added weight down low definitely gives the tractor a more planted feel, and less bouncy when hauling *** across the lawn. I mowed all last year in the same "grooves" striping my lawn. Yes there was compaction that you couldn't see, but could feel by driving "across the grain". For what it's worth, in Michigan rimguard in a 26/12/12 tire is $25 each plus 6% sales tax. Shop around, I wouldn't even consider that concoction your dealer is peddling. They're small tires and you want the "heaviest" liquid you can get.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If doing light loader work, glorified home owner stuff, how much weight do you really need? Would a ballast box of concrete be enough? That way it easy to put the weight down when mowing?

Last year, being the wettest I can remember, especially Aug-Sept, the ground was real soft for a long time. Almost afraid that if I upgraded to a SCUT, I would either rut the lawn so badly that I'd end up sleeping int eh shed with the tractor, or I wouldn;t be able to mow the lawn at all...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I mow mine with a JD2320 and a 62" deck it works great. The wider deck helps because you can get right next to things without the tractor being too close.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
I've mowed my lawn with just about every combination (L&G, SCUT, CUT) and don't notice a big difference in impact and certainly no difference in cut quality:

You'll notice in the above pic (clickable) that we've incorporated generous mulch beds into our landscaping. Even though my current tractor leaves an uncut circle of 36" it is best for your lawn to not be turning that sharply. :)

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Remember bigger decks actually cut tighter circles than smaller ones due to the fact they extend out further.

Second, the only big deal with mowing with the SCUT is the rollbar on the 2305 does not fold down, so it will grab limbs on trees, pull them forward as you pass and hit you in the back of the head if you aren't careful.:banghead3
However that only happens once and I have an arsenal of chainsaws to deal with that.:trink40:

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
I really dont think the SCUTs have as bad of turning as everyone thinks. But as mentioned above you can tear some stuff turning. I have to make a wider turn than the tractor will turn to keep from tearing stuff up.

Its not bad, but something I think about. As Bob said you need to change your pattern !

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I guess my suspicions were spot on. I would also assume something like an X7xx would be a little more gentle than a true SCUT when mowing, but of course the SCUT would be more capable when working with a FEL or 3pt implement.

Another question. How much PTO HP do you need for a decent chipper, something with a 4" capacity.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a JD 4200; which is probably larger than the SCUT category, however, I do mow with it often using a rotary cutter. It's pretty easy to tear things up, but turf tires would help. Also, I can't get as close with it.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I went from a 42" to 60" to now a 72" deck.

I love the big deck, I can trim closer than ever, these tires and steering brakes reduce lawn damage compared to my previous smaller machines.

My daughter did snap off BOTH clothes line poles with the roll bar!! She must have hit the lines dead center!!

I would have a JD today if they offered a GT type machine with a 72" cut.

:praying:

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's one mistake I made. I didn't think about a folding roll bar; and now wish I had. It won't fit under a standard garage door. I thought about taking it off and exchanging it; but it's not an easy job - way more involved than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would like to know what category my John Deere 655 falls under? One place classifies it as a CUT and from reading forums under CUT I think its too small.

Bob

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I guess my suspicions were spot on. I would also assume something like an X7xx would be a little more gentle than a true SCUT when mowing, but of course the SCUT would be more capable when working with a FEL or 3pt implement.

Another question. How much PTO HP do you need for a decent chipper, something with a 4" capacity.
It's not all just the hp but also the unit weight. I just purchased a Wallenstein BX 32 which they rate at 3" although if the branch is pretty straight I think it's closer to 4". My dealer recommended the BX 42 which is rated at 4" but I decided on the smaller unit for its lesser weight. I do know even with the smaller unit you want the loader on front to counterbalance it. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2305 TLB w/ 62" mulching deck and R4s and it cuts well. I have some very soggy areas in the lawn and it has done no real damage, Just be careful in 4x4. I do cut at different angle/pattern every time. For my purposes (1 1/2 acres in subdivision w/ some woods) this has been a good investment. I have a good bit of lawn and making more in the wooded area along with endless landscaping projects.

I have over 100 hours the first summer, cutting grass, moving dirt and using box blade. Moved 5-6 tandem truckloads of dirt, backing down a hill no less, in fairly short order. Have been very impressed with the combination of good mower and a capable tractor. At purchase I was leery of the tractor's size for cutting, don't regret a bit! I almost got the 54" deck, unless you can't fit through a particular area, get the bigger deck. As stated prior, it will have a tighter radius. When I'm cutting around a curved stone edge, the 62" deck does very well, the 54" would not. Last thing, it's more stable on hills than I had thought it would be, just be careful and buckle in!
Steve

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts

I don't think you would notice much diff. between a X7XX and a 1023/1026/2305 on the turf. The weight is not that much diff.

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
I don't think you would notice much diff. between a X7XX and a 1023/1026/2305 on the turf. The weight is not that much diff.
I was thinking "Bruce is nuts" !

LOL, Bruce you are right. Between a 748 and 1023 there is less than 50# difference.

Thats amazing.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Last time I was at a dealer, he was spouting something about the hydraulic 4wd on the x728 allowed the wheels to turn at different speeds so as not to tear the turf....or something like that.

Is there a difference in the 4wd systems between the X7xx and 1023/6?

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
the "new" as of 2011 I believe X7xx series is individually driven hydraulic, decoupled front wheel drive. The 1023/6 is "mechanically" coupled... so yes - the mech coupling is rougher on the lawn... when engaged.... but 90% of the time it will not be engaged, so not too much to worry about.
cheers!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the "new" as of 2011 I believe X7xx series is individually driven hydraulic, decoupled front wheel drive. The 1023/6 is "mechanically" coupled... so yes - the mech coupling is rougher on the lawn... when engaged.... but 90% of the time it will not be engaged, so not too much to worry about.
cheers!

Good point, there is nothing about my yard which would require me to use 4WD when mowing....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts