My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bought an owner's manual from Sears for only $12 (I thought it would have come free) and while looking through the parts diagrams I noticed that they listed a "nose roller" for my deck on my DYT 4000. Well I don't have one although the brackets are there and I was wondering if it is really necessary. My deck has four gauge wheels so do I really need the nose roller too? Anyone have an opinion on this.
TIA.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I would think that if your deck has a gauge wheel on each "corner", what would be the point of a nose roller ? Maybe they list the nose roller as an option as opposed to the front gauge wheels, possibly sharing the same bracketry. I'm just stating a guess and opinion here.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, I tend to agree, I'm just going by the part diagram and they show both. The brackets are bolt on parts not related to the gauge wheels, so if there was no nose roller why would they install the brackets?

·
Registered
758 Posts
the nose roller may help prevent scalping if you are mowing along the "crown" of a hill. It is possible they install the bracket for a different model ?DYT4500 (cheaper to have one deck for 2 models than just make yours sans bracket?) or your delivery person did not figure where that "extra" wheel went?

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
My LT1000 has the bracket for the nose roller, but only has the 2 rear wheels. I 'second' the scalping if you're mowing the crown, or have a real bumpy lawn.
I haven't run into that problem yet, but I mow the lawn rather high.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
The answer is "it depends on the terrain". My 42" deck only has two gauge wheels at the back. No front or nose wheel so I have to be careful to contour mow around my place to avoid scalping.

·
Which one's Pink?
413 Posts
The 54 inch deck on mine has the nose roller. In the new Sears catalogue it seems that only the 54 inch decks have the nose roller. It might be a price point issue or maybe they think that only the wider decks need them???

Mowin' Man :tee:

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,550 Posts
It is definitely a price point issue. My DYT4000 had a nose roller on a 42" deck but it was considered a special edition. Craftsman made many decks with the bracket but without the roller, strictly a cost cutting thing.
I also agree with the benefit of a nose roller on uneven terrain, no matter what size the deck is. :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my lawn is very bumpy and I have scalped a few times before I really adjusted the gauge wheels well, so I think it might be worth a try to get a nose wheel and save my lawn and blades. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
My neighbor's answer to a bumpy lawn was to put run the deck really low and scalp down the high spots. They scalp their lawns all the time to stunt the growth and not have to mow so often. They think I'm nuts because I fertilize, aerate, and otherwise promote growth.

I figure subsequent aerating will take longer plugs out of the high spots causing them to subside. The plugs will settle into the low spots as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts