My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take care of 10 , 3/4 acre yards here, they are along the cacapon river (summer homes). OK, I've always and mean always bin' told you wait till the grass dries, before you mow it. Over the years the polian really gets too me, so I mow my yards a little damp. The mower seems to cut it a little cleaner also (JD 150 high lift blades). My thinkin' is that; grass is simular to hair, the barber usually dampins' your hair before it's cut, right? I'm just curious if anybody else mows wet? Now understand, these yards are mowed ever week, in the spring. And when I'm done, I can still breath!

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Well with all the rain we have had lately up here in the northern panhandle of WV, I've been forced to mow wet grass also. Never did like to do that, but it's that way or wait till it dries up, then it would be about a foot high. Two things come to mind here, one I hate having wet grass under my deck when finished, and I mulch, so the grass balls up some in clumps more when it's wet, opposed to dry winrows that I can run back over to disperse if need be. In mulching I think it's better to cut dry when mulching also as I use gator blades on a 48C deck and do believe I get more lift in dry grass. If you're not mulching, that would probably be a mute point, but you still have to contend with the under deck cleanup :rauch10:

·
Guru on the Mountain
2,072 Posts
I cut wet this weekend due to all the rain we've had with the GX345 with the 54", no clogs at all, was not all that long though. Used to cut wet ofter with a 72" finish mower during rainy season and when traveling alot for work, no choice. Then later I made enough to justify paying for lawn service while working out of state so did not have to spend my entire time at home cutting! Stll had to ride around a bit when I camme back though to get a little seat time!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
The deck gets a lot of grass stuck underneath and needs to be removed is what I experienced. Sure don't like digging it off by hand. Usually no choice about when to cut though.
Heaven is the only place with perfect weather and they don't need to cut the grass.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've mowed wet grass for years and so do golf courses.

You must have sharp blades that will cut the grass cleanly and leave that green look.

Dull blades will rip the grass and a close eye inspection of the tops will reveal off white tips that leave grass with a slight frosted look.

And it goes with out saying you have to be vigilant about hosing out all the freshly cut grass that's really corrosive if left unattended to besides affecting the aerodynamics of a good dispersal.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes thats the only problem I've encontered is deck clean-up, I have a spot that i can pull my tractor(s) on that gets them off the ground, about head high (like the ones people made out of railroad ties). Then I use my pressure washer, and I do this right when I'm done mowin'

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
wet grass won't move out of the deck as readily as it tends to stick together. as long as you are not cutting tall grass short, it usually is not a big deal though.

the biggest thing is that if the ground is too wet you will end up leaving tire tracks or worse ruts.

i cut 4 acres at home, and it gets cut when i have the time, wet or dry. when the grass is dry i can go faster and get a cleaner cut, but i don't always have ideal conditions and when i cut wet i just slow down a little and give the deck time to clear itself. if i do not clean my deck out when done, my shop smells real sour in a day or so from teh wet rotting grass under it.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,726 Posts
Where I live, it's not really a choice. It's mow it wet, or not mow it at all. Seems like every time I go to mow, it's been raining. Or it's about to.

The old 345 seems to chew through it just fine; like others here said, I just slow down and give the deck time to clear.

I finally was able to get out on Saturday and start to give the yard its first mow of the season. Yes, in May. Our growing season seems a bit shorter than in other, less-elevated and windswept areas.

So I'm mowing along, the tractor is running all smooth and happy, and I noticed it was starting to drizzle. Huh. Was sunny and bright a few minutes ago... I decided I'd just keep going as long as I could, but then it started to rain. So heck with it, I need to get done. I kept going anyway. That Deere will cut tall, wet grass, and it was doing so - quite well - and hey, we getting a farmer-type wash job in the bargain.

Then it started to really, really rain. I took my foot off the forward pedal, wiped off my glasses, and then kept going. So I thought, aw, come on, it'll stop in a minute.

Then it started to hail. So I thought, aw, come on, it'll stop in a minute.

I paused to wipe my glasses again, and I happened to be close to the house. Suddenly I heard Steamgal's voice over the roar of the tractor. She was pointing at the sky and yelling at me. At first I thought she was congratulating me for my bravery, and complimenting me for the nice job I was doing on the front grass.

Then I saw the expression on her face. From what I saw, I sort of got it that she thought it was perhaps a good idea for me to come in. So it was at this point that I parked the tractor and went in.

I was soaked to the skin, and while I was trying to get a little dried out, she told me that there was thunder and lightning in the area, and she had been yelling at me for a number of minutes.

So yeah, the tractor can cut wet, tall grass, even beyond the realm of intelligence and reason.

Sunday afternoon I went out to finish the front and do the back, and ya know, my job wasn't too bad - even for going at it flat-out in a thunderstorm and downpour. I couldn't tell any difference where I'd been bouncing along fast and where I was going slow.

Not that I'm Joe Bflstk (remember Lil' Abner?) here or anything, but...

Let me throw in a link, here... How you know that Steamguy is out mowing the grass

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Steamguy, I thought for a minute there you wore going to say that "We aren't in Washington anymore... we're now in Kansas!":D Gotta be careful, some of those black clouds have been known to pick up unwary tractor drivers... tractors.... barns with tractors in 'em!.:D

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Today I was mowing in the rain... 40 acras keeps me moveing... I maintain the lawns at Grizzly.com

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Kbeitz; I finally mowed today. Tall grass,wet, water standing in places. Gaters did a pretty good job. Had to recut a couple of places,but all in all it looked ok!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Personally no I dont like too, but sometimes my schedule wont allow otherwise. I just dont prefer the way wet grass lays down and discharges after mowing it. But a very sharp blade always helps keep a nice crisp cut on the grass blade.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I live next to a city park where they mow rain or shine every Tuesday and Friday morning through the mowing season. Since they fertilize the bleep out of the park, it can get fairly tall in just a few days.

The kicker is that after they mow when it's wet, they have big clumps of grass everywhere. So they have the whole crew go out with leaf blowers to break up and distribute the clumps. We refer to it as blow drying the field. Of course it doesn't really help, but it does give the contractors a few more hours a week to bill against the city. Fortunately, my property is outside the city limits so I don't have to pay for this foolishness.:thThumbsU

Maybe some day I'll write up the story about the expensive split rail fence they built (four feet on their side of our property line) to project the citizens from my ferocious attack sheep. :00000060:

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I live next to a city park where they mow rain or shine every Tuesday and Friday morning through the mowing season. Since they fertilize the bleep out of the park, it can get fairly tall in just a few days.

The kicker is that after they mow when it's wet, they have big clumps of grass everywhere. So they have the whole crew go out with leaf blowers to break up and distribute the clumps. We refer to it as blow drying the field. Of course it doesn't really help, but it does give the contractors a few more hours a week to bill against the city. Fortunately, my property is outside the city limits so I don't have to pay for this foolishness.:thThumbsU

Maybe some day I'll write up the story about the expensive split rail fence they built (four feet on their side of our property line) to project the citizens from my ferocious attack sheep. :00000060:
Did they post sentries every 50 feet to shoot any rogue sheep that attempted to break through the fence ?? :ROF :ROF

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Where I live, it's not really a choice. It's mow it wet, or not mow it at all. Seems like every time I go to mow, it's been raining. Or it's about to.
http://columbian.com/article/20090503/NEWS02/705039961/-1/ARCHIVES
Reminds me of something I heard once about some small island off the coast of Scotland. I think it was said by commentators during a golf match, when the camera was pointed at this little island. Something to the effect of:
"That's (such and such) island... the locals here say it can predict the weather. If you can't see the island, it's raining. If you can see it, it's about to rain."

Sounds like you live in a similar climate...;)

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,726 Posts
Reminds me of something I heard once about some small island off the coast of Scotland. I think it was said by commentators during a golf match, when the camera was pointed at this little island. Something to the effect of:
"That's (such and such) island... the locals here say it can predict the weather. If you can't see the island, it's raining. If you can see it, it's about to rain."

Sounds like you live in a similar climate...;)
Yeah, no kidding. Had a guy ask me once why I've owned the tractor for about 15 years and only have 200 hours on it. Well, it's because I really don't like mowing in the rain! You'll notice that it's also pretty clean, too. That's because I never have to wash it, all I have to do is get it out of the barn and go to start mowing...! :00000062:

But it is a pretty place to live... I totally understand why Starbucks got started in Seattle.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do any of ya'll know where I can buy a MOWERBOAT???? I'm startin' to think, I should be buildin' an ARCH!! PLEASE, someone turn the spicket OFF.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts