My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Husky and it will not start nor will it roll. Last year before I put it away it started to turn off when the blade was engaged. I had to mow at the lowest setting to keep the engine running. All other settings would make the mower turn off. I changed the belt because it was worn and it still would not cut unless it was at the lowest setting. The other issue is that when the blade engage lever is in the off position the blade still turns as if it was engaged. I have had the mower for three years and had no problems until now.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hi jguiin :Welcome:

The PTO problem sounds like either a sticking idler pulley or wrong or improperly installed belt. With the PTO lever in the off position there should be no tension on the belt, if there is loosen the adjustment so that the only time it has tension is when the PTO lever is engaged.

Are you mowing at WOT? (wide open throttle) If not, the strain could be stalling the tractor. Did you check the interlock switches and seat safety switch to be sure they aren't causing the tractor to cut out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mower will not run

I have jumped the seat switch. The engine was wide open when the blade was engaged. I have turned the mower up and noticed another belt the belt is loose and does not have any tension on it. Is the the pto? I know enough about mower repair to get me in trouble. I have taken the deck off and tried to start it also but still does not start. Could the smaller belt need to be repalced? Would the pto cause the mower not to roll free while in nuetral. I would like to try and reapair myself if I can. I am limited on my knowledge of mower repair.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I think you may have a few different things going on here.
If the deck is off, leave it off while you try and get the tractor running. I'm assuming this is a manual PTO. Be sure it's disengaged and the belt isn't moving. Be sure you are sitting on the seat and depressing the brake while trying to start it. Check if there is an interlock safety switch above the brake pedal. There may be a little plunger on the switch that contacts the brake pedal arm. Try holding that plunger in as far as you can while someoone else sits on the seat and tries to start the tractor. BE SURE TO KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM ANY MOVING PARTS!

Is this a manual or hydro tractor? If hydro there may be a release pin somewhere on the rear draw bar that needs to be disengaged to roll the tractor.

Did you check fuel flow and spark? Air filter? gas filter? When it stalls does it start right up again or does it need to cool down awhile? Are all air shrouds in place? If it doesn't restart right away check for spark again.

·
Administrator
11,804 Posts
I would agree with Six,

It sounds like the PTO lever (Lever that engages the blades) has a problem with the linkage or idler binding which is also triggering the safety switch. If I recall correctly on those the blade starts turning when the deck is lowered. Right?

·
couch hopper
130 Posts
best thing to do would be to buy a diffrent mower those huskys have a tendincie to lock-up and/or suck.

ORANGE RULES!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
jquinn:
Can you send the model number of this tractor. Some of us might be able to look it up and tell you better what is going on with it.

Bob

·
Registered
790 Posts
On that style unit you must replace the mower drive belt with the oem belt. The blades turning when you have the deck in the raised position is an indication you either replaced with the wrong belt or misinstalled it. A mower in that condition is dangerous....and it will burn up your starter with that kind of load on it.
This is tractor has a two belt variable pulley setup (called an automatic NOT a hydro).The variable pulley is prone to freezing when left to sit for a while or isn't shifted regularly. Does it have a foot pedal to control ground speed (after putting in forward or reverse) or do you have a hand lever.
All due fairness.............better look up a shop that repairs and is familiar with MTD products.Get it back on its feet......btw hook your seat switch back up.....set the brake itll stay running when you get off.Its dangerous the way you have it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts