My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using my snapper RER last weekend and at one point I disengaged the deck while traversing across the property, and the belt began to smoke. When I reengaged the deck, the smoke subsided.

What is going on here? I think that the deck blade has a braking system so the blade won;t spin while the engagement lever is back towards the seat. Does this mean that the belt normally just sets on the pully under the engine while the tractor runs but doesn't mow?

What would cause the belt to smoke - too much tenison, holding it against the drive pulley? Maybe the main tube slipped whiel I was driving around and now there'e too much tension on the belt.

Has anyone else had this problem with smoking the belt on one of these things?

Thanks.
H B

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Maybe your belt is too tight, but I would also guess you may have debris preventing the idler from releasing fully.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
:crybaby: I smoked mine while trying herocically :crybaby: to plow through too many of my neighbors wet leaves.

(Thought my newly acquired Snapper was invincable :Stop:)

Had to buy a new belt of course!

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
They smoke when they are slipping and being pressed against the drive pulley, which happens to be rotating whenever the engine is running. If you have your belt adjusted too loose, it will smoke when it is given a high load and starts to slip. It will burn a spot on the friction surfaces, or tear chunks out of the belt itself.
If you have smoke when the lever is forward, which is the default position, then you have something that is preventing the belt from going slack to avoid being rubbed by the drive pulley. Noted above are a few reasons.
tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts