My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
my dealer sucks
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone installed one on their mower deck yet? just picked one up today (5 bucks) and am in process of sanding and re-painting underside + new blades. I looked at a couple mowers and all have them mounted left side, center. I was just wondering if there was a more favorable position for this. It still needs to stay on the left side (for obvious reasons) but would moving it forward or back gain me any more water coverage. I can't put it dead center due to pulley cover, so back a few inches from center will have to do. (48" deck..... I know... why on a 2305??? because I mow around ALOT of stuff and it fits through my man gates, tractor width can be no wider than with widest stance on wheels.) forward would put it out of "line" with the other two blades. X marks the spot on the pic with the most ideal location. thoughts? thanks everyone. I'll post pics of the install.

Attachments

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
fattyfat1, My dad used to own a Jacobsen riding mower back in the day.
(1970) I remember the wash nozzle was located on left side, center on end.
It was a 48" deck which I think was the largest offered at that time.
Note: the Jacobsen was used for 15 years and was sold to an individual
who used it as a pulling tractor because the mower deck was completely rusted out.:hide:

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I also have a 48C deck though not on a real tractor, just a GX335:D. IF I were installing wash ports I know where I'd put them, right where the most buildup collects. There's several trouble spots under there that really will collect clippings and mud. Sadly, you might have a problem with the hose connection clearances if you installed the port into them.

For my dough, wash ports installed in the deck may not be the most efficient use of water cleaning. With a bit of experimentation you can find just the right spots to apply hose nozzle water under the edges of the deck. You could cut and mount all day in different places and not hit the spot you can get with a regular hose squirting under the deck.

I use a 2.5' garden center "watering wand" with a high pressure short compact (firehose type) nozzle and work around the edges of the deck ESPECIALLY the back edges. You must clean every time you mow (on my grass anyway) if you're going to use water and use full flow, trickles, sprays and mists are useless. Any **** left to dry under there is there until it's scraped out.

·
my dealer sucks
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rust you say? 2 hours with a 4" grinder and wire wheel have taught me a lesson. three years, two pressure washes a season is not enough. whole underside was rusted. BAD. two cans of self-etching primer, and two cans of deere yella, and i have a functional mower deck again. Living up here in the Pacific Northwet does not allow me to always mow when the grass is dry. in spring, if i waited for a dry day, grass would be two feet tall. I'm lazy. simple as that. I don't wanna take my deck off to clean it when i have to mow again in three days. sometimes i take my deck off to do loader work and put it back on dirty cause i'm too lazy to clean it. pathetic i know but??? don't worry, lesson learned. i am a changed man. by the way..... found out today Teflon spray paint is now illegal to sell because criminals were painting their bullets with it. aparently the authorities do not like teflon coated bullets. my deck would be teflon coated if it were not for those **** criminals.........:banghead3

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
LOL Im sure that the decks that JD sells today are more protected. I like where your X is and if I was going to put one on, that would be the spot.
My ground looks like a puzzle right now because of no rain for over a month.
Too much rain or not enough rain seems to be the theme for this years weather. BTW your deck looks brand new!:trink40:

·
Super Moderator
29,566 Posts
in my experience the wash ports are for crap. usually teh port itself is clogged up and i have to reach under the deck and scrape it clean just so water can even flow, and i have 75PSI coming off my well! plus the part on top usually gets debris in it while mowing, so i have to take a small screw and dig it out before attaching the hose or it REALLY clogs up.

My advice, forget the washport and just scrape the deck when you remove it!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Unless you're going to put in about 3 of them I wouldn't waste my time the
factory one doesn't do squat for clean out the deck. Park over a low spot and
spray underneath like he!! with the deck turned off of course.

·
Registered
171 Posts
ditto, wash nozzle on my deck gets the left blades "wet" and that about it. its basically just a mister under there. i do the same, spend a few minutes after each mowing with the deck up. i raise up the deflector shield and peek in while i spray and can almost get all of the deck. after that from the other side i just make sure i am aiming the nozzle in all the angles i can think of to spray. works for me. good luck!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
....... the
factory one doesn't do squat for clean out the deck. QUOTE]

Amen. I tried mine several times, when the deck was new and all the paint was still on the undeneath side. Next to worthless. I got better results aiming a full jet from the water hose into the chute while the deck was engaged (from about 4 feet away, on a concrete pad, with the deck raised).

It's your deck, but I'd save myself the time and effort, plus it will be one less thing to have to scrape around. My best cleaning comes with a power washer, and a stiff brush. 20 minutes, counting removing and replacing the deck.

·
my dealer sucks
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone. I appreciate all the advice. probably take back the nozzle tomorrow. 5 bucks is 5 bucks, right? :trink40:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
One thing to add is wait until the deck spindle bearings are cooled off before
spraying them with a blast of cold water. JD mechanic, one that I trust, said
this of any machinery because of condensation build up from cold water being
blasted on a hot bearing housing.

·
Joe
8 Posts
My local JD dealer recommended a spray lubricant (similar to spray paint) called slip plate?
It sets up a great moisture barrier beneath your deck.
Joe

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Non stick coking spray, PAM or generic, will help not a cure all it does seem to
help if you clean the underside nearly spotless before applying it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts