My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a little info, the 54" deck (190-290-100 on a 3225) is in probably the worst condition of any of the decks I've seen, given its age of about 12 years. There are holes starting to form by the blade spindles and there is a large hole on the trailing edge of the deck by the discharge chute. All wheels/rollers are shot, as are the bearings on the forks (or bushings, not sure since I haven't taken them apart) that hold the front wheels in place. Those parts have been allowed to wear to the point where the forks have worn on the steel adjustment brackets on the deck, damaging both parts.

In other words, it needs a lot of work. So here is the deal, I was quoted 450 for the deck shell from the dealer. I haven't asked for quotes on the other parts that also need replaced, but all told it will cost between 600 and 700 to rebuild it.

I was also quoted 1300 for a new 190-295-100 54" deck that was told it would fit. Supposedly the only difference is that is the new one with the deck washing system. If I'm looking at buying a new one, I could also look at the 48" and 60". Our yard is small, at only 1/4 of an acre. Even a 48" is bigger than what I need. However, we are looking at buying more property and moving some day. We want at least 3 acres, but 10 or 15 is what we are really looking for.

So what do you guys think? Rebuild or replace? And if replace, would you keep the same size, go larger or smaller??? The snowblower is on the tractor already and this is the season to get ready for spring.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,582 Posts
If it were me, I'd first try to locate a used deck with a good shell and use it and your old one to make a good renovated deck. If a used one was not available, I'd choose to rebuild with the new shell and whatever other parts it needs. But, it depends some on what your time is worth and if you enjoy doing that kind of stuff.

I'd completely disassemble the old, thoroughly clean, inspect, and paint the salvageable old parts, buy and paint the required new parts and then prep and paint the new or used shell before putting things back together.

It sounds like you have a very good set-up otherwise and with a "new" deck you'd be good for years to come.

Gerald

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it were me, I'd first try to locate a used deck with a good shell and use it and your old one to make a good renovated deck.
You are absolutely correct. I've been watching ebay as there have been some listed. Unfortunately, none that I've seen so far have been in good enough condition for me to pay what they are asking. Some have been listed for as much as 600+ shipping, but also need parts that are either worn or missing.

Time isn't much of a factor. It should be noted the dealer said it could take 4 weeks to get a deck shell. Not a big deal since it won't be needed now until probably April. And even if it wasn't ready by then, I still have the new Toro Super Recycler I bought this summer to use.

As you also mention, my plan would be to sandblast, prep and paint all the parts that need paint and probably replace any bearings as well. The bad news is that the 2 year old, 60 gallon Kobalt compressor I bought is on its last legs already. I guess that's what I get for buying Chinese crap. So in the spring, its probably going to be replaced with a 2 stage from Ingersoll Rand. Something with a 100% duty cycle. Replacing the deck will put off how soon I need to buy a compressor.

If the deck is replaced, any good parts will be stripped and kept as spares, so it wouldn't be a total loss. The bad part of all of this is that the more I have to spend on a compressor/deck, the longer it will be before I can add the 3 pt hitch kit and new tires.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,582 Posts
Well, while you are looking around for a deck, keep your eye open for a used compressor. The older ones last for years and there are some good bargains out there.

For inspiration, here is the result of marrying two deck catastrophes together: One full of holes but mostly serviceable hardware and the other with rusted up and frozen up hardware with a good shell:

Gerald

Attachments

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW!!! That finished deck looks GREAT! Awesome job! The local dealer here has been a little difficult to deal with, however, their pricing has been very, very good. For example, the shell on partstree is $710, but the dealer only wants $450.

So here is a question, if new parts to rebuild the deck total somehwere close to say 900 bucks, what would you do? Still rebuild? Appreciate the info!

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,582 Posts
Well, of course the best option would be to find a good used deck. I had to look for awhile, but it showed up on CL for $175 and I was in business.

To spend ~$900. on a rebuild would need to be justified by how it fits with the tractor package and its value...either on the market or to you. (Sometimes we are willing to invest more than the market value just because we like something...it's some kind of mental problem! :) )

I don't know what Cub you have or its value or its likely life. Mine is a Sunstar: a) Without a deck it has much less value. b) The tractor will last for many years, so I would have been willing to spend $900 on a renovated deck.

Don't know if that helps; hope so.

Gerald

PS It does not take too powerful a compressor to do a very good job painting. Running things like impact wrenches is a different matter.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Also keep in mind that when people sell off their tired and broken tractors, the deck is usually part of that mess. Look for someone abandoning a 3000 and you just might find a deck in serviceable condition.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
If you're handy with a welder, you could fab up some replacement piece for the deck to repair what's bad at a fraction of the cost, and you wouldn't be at the mercy of going through anyone else for either a used or new deck.

Is there enough metal to work with on that deck at all?

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just went out and looked at the deck's underside only to find more holes I hadn't seen before. If I can get the garaged cleaned up enough, I'll move the deck out to where I can take some pictures.

I'm ok with spending a little bit of money on it because for me, the return on investment is the work it will do over many years. Looks like I need to study some parts diagrams and see what the dealer will do on the parts while watching ebay and CL for a deck.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Can you get us some pictures of the deck for more advise...

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never seems to be enough time in the day. Was interupted today by the neighbor. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow or Tuesday. Its supposed to be nice Tuesday so things can be moved out of the garage so I can get to the deck, even if the garage isn't cleaned up. It won't be long before the wife is on me to get things organized so she can park out of the snow...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Hello

You are right about the used decks on eBay – the current ones look pretty used up for the money they want. Once in awhile there is a good deal on a new shell there, but the used decks usually do not look too great. There is currently a 3225 deck for $250, but I note that no picture of the underside – the most important view – is shown. Besides, unless the seller is close and you can pick it up, shipping will be expensive. The 3225 is a real fine tractor, and as you will probably own it for a long time to come, I would go with a new shell. If you start out with a new deck and clean it regularly, it should last you indefinitely.

Regarding changing the size, you would probably want the 54" or more if you are looking at more acreage, but going to a 60" might entail a good bit of searching. Although you do see them for sale from time to time (the above condition comments apply even more), the 60" decks are just not as plentiful as the 54". I would not go smaller. I went with the 50" deck thinking that the 54" might be too big, but actually the 54" would not have been a problem - and the extra four inches would be welcome.

I do wonder what shell your dealer is quoting though. I see that the 3225 shell is currently shown as not available on the Cub Cadet website. I don’t know if that is something that they will ever stock again. A 3200 shell is available, but list on it is $413, not $450. Did they give you a part number?

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello
I do wonder what shell your dealer is quoting though. I see that the 3225 shell is currently shown as not available on the Cub Cadet website. I don’t know if that is something that they will ever stock again. A 3200 shell is available, but list on it is $413, not $450. Did they give you a part number?
This is a good question, I gave them the P/N for the original deck. We talked about the 295 used on the 3200. That could very well be what they quoted. I'd have verify that.

So here is another dumb question, I have pictures but I'm not sure how to post them... is it only possible with a an internet link after you upload them? If so, I'll have to set something up somewhere unless I can send them to someone to post.

And I also have to say this is such a fantastic site. The guys here have so much knowledge, post great info, ask great questions... I mean, what more can you say??? Big time thanks to whomever started it!!! :thThumbsU

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pardon the small pictures which hopefully work. Anyway, the photo with the blue towel in it is under the largest hole. It was hard to hold the deck upright with one hand and take pictures with the other, but the steel is flaking off pretty bad on the whole underside. I didn't take pictures of all of the holes, just the few large ones. Lots of tools are in the garage, but not a welder yet...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yup, looks pretty nasty. If I am looking at this correctly, it looks like the lower deck edges are rusted right through/off. Is that right? If so, it would be a really big job to fix, more than I would want to tackle. Let us know what you end up doing, good luck.

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup, looks pretty nasty. If I am looking at this correctly, it looks like the lower deck edges are rusted right through/off. Is that right? If so, it would be a really big job to fix, more than I would want to tackle. Let us know what you end up doing, good luck.
You are correct, the edges are rusted through or are rusting through. You can flake off large chunks of metal, accelerating the damage. Still would like to get a used deck and have time yet, don't "need" a replacement plan for a month or tow, depending on what happens. Freight can be shipped to where I work, you just better have a plan for when it arrives... :trink39:

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Wow. Yeah, I'd be looking around too :) At least you've got some time ahead of ya before you need it.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
If you have time this winter you could make a progect of fixing this deck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts