My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 54 inch mower and when loading it on or off my trailer the mower deck gets stuck on the hinges on the 6 x 12 trailer. This trailer seems to have the hinges higher than my previous trailer. Parking it on different surface levels doesn’t help because the hinges are on the trailer bed itself. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get the mower on and off? Are there any modifications that I could make to the trailer?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
How 'bout driving it up on two 2 x 6, one under each wheel, two on the deck of the trailer, the other two shorter lengths on the tailgate, couple of bolts dropped down thru the wire mesh of the tailgate would stop slipping. I assume you are lifting the deck as high as possible?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I assume that is a piece of angle the hinge is welded to with a flat surface dropping down from where it is currently welded.
If so, I would cut it loose with a cut off wheel, grind the excess weld off and drop the hinge down flush or slightly below flush and re-weld it to the angle.

Mike's solution would also work, no cutting metal and re-welding it involved. The boards could be permanently attached to the bed floor and the tailgate, so no bouncing off or lost misplaced wood pieces. But then you would have wood runners screwed down to the trailer bed and tailgate if you use it for other purposes, might or might not be an issue.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
10,068 Posts
When I bought my first trailer, I got the guy making it to put on a longer tailgate (5' split tailgate instead of 4'), which helps.

For loadinng/unloading my zero turn I would still raise the deck going over the edge, as sometimes things would line up just right and it would catch on the lip (he did mount the hinges better than yours did).

Having the hinge moved would be a good start, but I would expect the deck to still rub on the edge (but it may no longer catch on it). If it still does, even with lifting the deck, then
-raising the botom end of the tailgate (to reduce the angle a bit, but can't do this too much otherwise you may have problems with the deck on tailgate while getting the rear wheels up on the tailgate
-lengthening the tailgate (also makes the tailgate heavier, for mine, it had to be a split tailgate to be manageable, but it's also much sturdier than yours)
-curving the tailgate a bit (much more expensive)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Put a 2x6 under gate when open and one behind it as a step. This would change the pitch and give greater clearance. As previously suggested by Dave r. You can experiment with this method by adding 2x6's to get the correct angle. Then you can screw them together so that you can have one peice to use when you are loading this machine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts