My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Will a 48 inch mower deck from a 212 fit my 208 that is currently fitted with a 38 inch deck? Will any modifications be needed and what belt will I need? Just got my 208 and I'll probably have lots more questions.
thank you,
Dave
Chalk Hill Pa

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
The deck on the 212 is a Number 47 deck which is actually a 46inch cut But it will fit the 208 without any modifications. Because the have the same attachments points basicly the same tractor except the 208 Has no engine side panels and has a 4speed trans.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
396 Posts
Welcome to the board Dave "fairchance" from Chalk Hill, PA! :MTF_wel:

How about posting a few pics of your 208? :wwp:

I had one as my first JD about 30 years ago. Nice little rugged dude...it was!

BTW...where is Chalk Hill in PA?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will my belt fit the 46 inch deck?

The deck on the 212 is a Number 47 deck which is actually a 46inch cut But it will fit the 208 without any modifications. Because the have the same attachments points basicly the same tractor except the 208 Has no engine side panels and has a 4speed trans.:thThumbsU
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the board Dave "fairchance" from Chalk Hill, PA! :MTF_wel:

How about posting a few pics of your 208? :wwp:

I had one as my first JD about 30 years ago. Nice little rugged dude...it was!

BTW...where is Chalk Hill in PA?
Thanks for the welcome! Chalk Hill is in the SW Pa Laurel Mountains area. I'll get some pics up. Cut my grass yesterday and it did a pretty good job. Runs good but seems a little rich. How much exhaust smoke is too much? Also, should it be able to climb hills in 2nd gear. I have to put it in first to go up a 12 degree grade?
Dave

·
Citizen of Earth
16,622 Posts
I an a little surprised that the 208 would power the 47 deck. You only have 8 HP to work with. Might be why you can't climb a hill in second gear. The 47 mower deck was recommended for tractors with 10 or more HP.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I an a little surprised that the 208 would power the 47 deck. You only have 8 HP to work with. Might be why you can't climb a hill in second gear. The 47 mower deck was recommended for tractors with 10 or more HP.
Joe...if I am reading his first post correctly, I think that he is currently running the 38" deck, so he should not be underpowered. When I had my 208, I also had the 38" deck and it would climb right up hills no problem in 2nd gear while mowing. Sounds like "fairchance's" 208 might be down a little on power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe...if I am reading his first post correctly, I think that he is currently running the 38" deck, so he should not be underpowered. When I had my 208, I also had the 38" deck and it would climb right up hills no problem in 2nd gear while mowing. Sounds like "fairchance's" 208 might be down a little on power.
I guess I'd better not add a larger deck til I see if I can coax a couple more HP out of the old kohler. It starts up fine and does not miss but seems like it's running rich to me. Any advice appreciated,
thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
396 Posts
I guess I'd better not add a larger deck til I see if I can coax a couple more HP out of the old kohler. It starts up fine and does not miss but seems like it's running rich to me. Any advice appreciated,
thanks,
Dave
If she is smoking under load while coming up the hills, you are probably burning oil and the engine may be getting ready for a rebuild. You could try a "seafoam" treatment and see if that helps out.

To check on the "running rich" situation, pull the spark plug and look at it. If it is gunked up and dark burnt brown, you are running rich. If it has a light or whitish color, then you are running lean. You can google "spark plug conditions" or something like that and there will be pictures on the internet of how rich, lean and just right should look on your plug.

Has the carb ever been rebuilt or cleaned? If not, you are definitely ready for this service. Ask your dealer how much to do this and then ask him how much for a rebuild kit and maybe you will want to take it on yourself if you can get a Kohler engine manual that has your carb in it. Kohler engine manuals might be on-line...perhaps someone can help out here? :goodl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.