My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for ideas to store my mower deck during winter while I use my snowblower. Where do you store yours? Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fluid film on new tractor

Do you use Fluid film to protect your tractor? I used it on my atv and I was satisfied. I will have my new Husqvarna Rider mainly for snowblowing and I want the best protection for it.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
This will be my first Winter so have not had need for long term storage but what I like to use is a hand truck (dolly) to move it around and store it vertically. I have three that I collected over the years. I got them when they were on sale.

I made up a holding adapter for my bigger P-handle dolly that locks into the mounting holes on my craftsman deck so that it holds it upside down at a comfortable height to clean the deck and remove the blades. I use that dolly for short term storage for when I use the Craftsman for other than mowing. I don't use the Craftsman in Winter so I store it with the mower deck attached.

I've been using a smaller hand truck to move my R322TX mower deck or the snow blade. It is 20% off now at CTC.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/steel-hand-truck-300-lb-0600538p.html
I have another similar small hand truck that I use to move my air compressor around. I decided to add a hose reel to it so it is now dedicated to the compressor.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
My JD deck sits in the garage on the back wheels leaning against something. Same spot the snowblower sits in all summer. Roger

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Probably the deck the OP has doesn't have rear wheels and the front wheels are not rigid to the deck so not a stable way to store it. My 112 Combi deck is 55kg so a dolly and a bungee cord works well both to move it around and it will stand upright.

It is possible to lift and carry the deck without a dolly and it could be leaned up against the wall but I would block it to make it more stable.

·
Registered
864 Posts
About $24 to make these deck axles.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I keep the deck in the same shed as the tractor. Usually leaned against a wall or other equipment. Sometimes I stack it on top of other equipment. It's a stamped 42 incher. I can just pick it up and put it where I want.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I usually lean mine against the back wall of the garage but have to admit that Deck Dolly looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent ideas guys, thank you. Lligetfa, I went for the same solution as you. I had a dolly so I attached the mower on it. It's perfect for me.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Excellent ideas guys, thank you. Lligetfa, I went for the same solution as you. I had a dolly so I attached the mower on it. It's perfect for me.
You're welcome. Those dollies are cheap enough to have several and having flat-free wheels are nice too.

I'm guessing you have the 112 Combi deck just like mine. You could get a rope and pulley system and hang it from the rafters if you need the floor space. At 55kg however, you'd want to look for a quality system and not go for the cheapest. You could leave it on the hoist all Winter or use the hoist to get it up to the ceiling and then hang it on J hooks. The hooks I linked to are good to about 30kg each so you'd need to use two or more to distribute the weight. Hang it close to the wall where you don't walk under it just to be safe.

Here are examples:
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/automotive/towing-cargo-management/chains-accessories/straps-tie-downs/carolina-north-trade-hang-em-high-trade-hoist/hh20/p-1505975312039.htm
https://www.menards.com/main/storage-organization/garage-outdoor-organizers/bike-storage/tool-shop-reg-9-1-16-rubber-coated-heavy-duty-screw-in-bike-hook/sh18-50bb/p-1444428703173-c-12651.htm

I need the floor space so my decks are not going to stay on the dollies all Winter but they served their purpose for now as it was easy to move them out of the way to get at stuff behind them.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Not my ideal situation but the only option I have. I clean my 48" deck thoroughly, grease it and stand it on end in the corner of my small fenced in area behind the garage. It is up on wood blocks off the ground, and bungee corded into the corner. The whole thing is then wrapped in a tarp and bungee corded to keep the wet off of it. My 4th year with this deck and it seems to survive pretty well this way.

If I had any wall room in the garage, I'd figure out a way to hang it on the wall, up off the floor by about 3 inches. Maybe a ledge at the bottom and some kind of latch to hold the top against the wall. It's heavy but a 3 inch lift can still be managed.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If I had any wall room in the garage, I'd figure out a way to hang it on the wall, up off the floor by about 3 inches. Maybe a ledge at the bottom and some kind of latch to hold the top against the wall. It's heavy but a 3 inch lift can still be managed.
If the deck is leaned against the wall , one can just put a board under it to take the full weight while keeping it off the floor and use J-bolts on the wall to prevent it from falling over. The J-bolts are strong enough to take the full weight if screwed vertically into the ceiling but not horizontally into the wall. Of course one could use heavier duty L-brackets meant to store ladders and such.

The Combi deck has a tubular front bracket the front castors are mounted on that are ideal to hang it from.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Today I shuffled stuff around, moving Winter stuff out and putting Summer stuff away. The snow thrower was moved to the front and the roto-tiller put in its place.

Knocked down and hung up the lawn sweeper. There was just enough space under it to lay my Combo 112 deck flat.

The Craftsman deck got put back on and the tractor parked with skids under the deck.

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
I keep mine on a pallet under the wood deck attached to the house. No cover on it, but I do try to keep leaves off and out from under it. Has worked well for several tractors over the years.

The area under the deck does have excellent drainage, it's all crushed stone.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts