My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
38" deck with the Turbo collection system. Cannot seem to find a manual for the blower itself. Have one for the bags and mounts but not for the turbo blower. Also, previous owner said he bolted a wheel weight onto the left side of the deck opposite the blower to compensate for the lean caused by the heavy blower. When the deck is in the fully raised position it does lean to the right quite a bit, and levels out when I place the weight on the left side. But when I lower the deck to cutting levels and it is resting on the rollers, it is quite even. So I wonder why he did this. Didnt really get into it with him. All I can see is, it does make the deck less likely to hit an obstacle on the ground if it is hanging evenly in the raised position.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, the deck is less likely to hit an obstacle if it's hanging evenly, but you dont seem the type to operate recklessly (you did buy a Simplicity :)), and I bet you dont have many, if any obstacles to hit anyway. Putting more weight on it is only going to increase stress on the lift components and the deck, and the tractor too. People load the the tires and use wheel weights to improve traction and balance, and lower the center of gravity without increasing stress to the tractors components.

When the deck is on my GT, it is no longer a tractor but a precision lawn mowing system and I treat it accordingly. I protect and maintain my deck with a fervor that looks like Obssesive-Compulsive behaviour to some. But the benifits are worth it to me. (it will last forever, and cuts fantastic.) AND I get nice pictures. :)

Here are some recent pics of my 35 year old deck:

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Larry.....your deck looks great! I am also very careful with my 60" Legacy deck and just repainted my 48" Allis-Chalmers deck. Looks like you have some kind of "coating" on the underside of your deck. If so, what did you use? I am planning on repainting the underside of mine this fall and then putting clear coat polyurethane on it (unless I find a better idea!!)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Me too. What did you put on the bottom of your deck? Does it help at all with the grass clippings adhering to the bottom?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Larry.....your deck looks great! I am also very careful with my 60" Legacy deck and just repainted my 48" Allis-Chalmers deck. Looks like you have some kind of "coating" on the underside of your deck. If so, what did you use? I am planning on repainting the underside of mine this fall and then putting clear coat polyurethane on it (unless I find a better idea!!)
Thanks.

Polyurethane's pretty tough after it's cured for a month or so. What specifically are you planning on using?

In this case it's just paint, this spring I was going through some aging paint supplies and found most of a quart of Dupont Imron III urethane enamel in shoe leather brown that was still good, so I sprayed it on the bottom of the deck. Nice color eh? Toughest paint I know of.

I usually use cheap spray cans of black acryllic enamel from wally world.

I've heard of at least 2 non-stick paints/coatings specifically for mower decks, If I can find some information on them I'll start a new thread. Cleaning that old deck sometimes gets old, a feeling I'm sure lot's of you can relate too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thread hijacking anyone?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thread hijacking anyone?
Sometimes threads get off course a little bit, but it does all still relate to decks...and it is of interest....just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, I know, no big deal, just funnin' a little bit. Anyway, I adjusted the deck as per the manual. That is the side with the blower is to be raised up 1/4 inch at the blade tips over the non blower side. And I removed the weight that was attached to the deck. It seems to be a rear wheel weight. I am going to have to contact the guy I bought it from and see if he has the other one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Stuball56...:sorry1:Didn't mean to hijack your thread!! Just got curious about
Larry's deck.:trink40:

Larry: I WAS planning on using some old urethane clearcoat I have in my cabinet just to get rid of it but my neighbor just showed me some pieces he just got back from a powder coating service for his 1969 Roadrunner restoration.
They look great and the price was very low so I might take my deck to have
it powder coated (after taking all the parts off it). Have to think about this!!

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Ya, I know, no big deal, just funnin' a little bit. Anyway, I adjusted the deck as per the manual. That is the side with the blower is to be raised up 1/4 inch at the blade tips over the non blower side. And I removed the weight that was attached to the deck. It seems to be a rear wheel weight. I am going to have to contact the guy I bought it from and see if he has the other one.
The issue you are presenting is common. I saw this with another collection system, aftermarket, and much simpler like a side-bagger; but part of that was the system itself leaning, especially on hills /sidehills.

I suppose it comes down to whether or not you perceive a problem. I find it interesting that they suggest raising the side with the blower attached. That says there is some movement PROBABLE due to the weight, while mowing. I visualized this in terms of stepping on the deck to push it down. Since roller supports rear of deck (I think that's the case with yours), the movement is happening, due to force of weight, at the front mount area. The adjustment is 1/4" which suggests not a radical movement; but a tendency to sink slightly with the weight. I am wondering how heavy is this device. I think also you could "fine tune" the 1/4" adjust, and get really picky about it - hey, why not, if it's noticeable.

And it seems this is an "active" collection system, not merely relying on the breeze out the side chute like a cheaper mower might use, or a side bagger might use.

Thanks for the view, stuball. I have kinda wondered how these things work.
My Pacer comes with a sidebag. It works; but it is so small as to be nearly useless for most yards - unless you like doing one pass down, one pass back, empty the bag, reattach, bag has a zipper :rolleyes: just about useless, but good for a cleanup on aisle 5. or something.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I almost apologised up front, but just cant. I've found half the time these threads run true for 3-5 replies, then go where they want. what we need is a good name for it. How about Threadwear?

Just did it again, didn't I?
Threadwear...I like that...and it appears Gray is now gone...that should give the site much more bandwidth to be sure!! LMAO!!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Who said Gray got banned?He was kind of talkative and not always on point,but usually entertaining!If he got too far off I just moved on.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Not sure why, though I can understand it, but when you look at his avatar it says banned right below his name.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts