My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Got my newly aquired 1998 EZ3 Special Edition all fixed up (the one I had posted questions about the deck lift arm and collection system.) Sears had all the parts in stock to complete it. I was never a fan of Craftsman after my last one, but I have to say, this one cuts really nice. Bagger works well too. My main gripe was Sears parts prices, but after working on a couple other brands they all seem to be pretty equal now.
Anyway I had to replace blades on the 42" deck (hit a rock, took 2 big chunks out). I went to tractor supply because I was going to buy the gator rough duty blades, but discovered universal blades won't fit the Craftsman ( the centre star lock pattern was just different enough it wouldn't mesh). So I went to sears and they had blaades in stock. I asked if they had a better blade and it turns out there are four options. I went with a high lift instead of the standard mulching thinking it would be better for bagging. Did I think right? Can I still mulch with these blades? I notice the old mulchers had the cutting edge along almost the whole length of the blade, where these only have an edge at the tips.

Also does anyone have the book for a model 944.610410 collection system? Sears told me they do not have it on-line.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are bagging the grass you are probably better off with the high lift blades. I don't bag the grass so I went with the "gator" type blade that Sears sells. I'm happy with them...they seem to mulch better than the "regular" mulching blades and they chop up the little sticks as well. They are thicker and heavier, but also have a shorter edge than the old blades they replaced.
As far as mulching with the high lift blades...I have no idea as I've never used them. Slap the mulch plug on and see how they work!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yeah, the high lift blades will mulch if you have the side cover on the discharge, but they just won't mulch as fine as the gators or the other designed mulch blades will do.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Tried the new blades tonight. Not real happy with the heavy duty high lift blades. They do fill the catcher cans better, before it would fill the one, then you almost had to go to the point of almost plugging it before it would start filling the other. Now it fills them both right up. I'm just not happy with the cut. The standard mulchers would cut clean with one pass. Now I find myself going back to catch all the "stragglers" that are still standing.
Also find that when I empty the catchers all the leaves I pick up are still whole, where as the standard mulchers had them chewed to crumbs.

But, you know what they say....you never know till you try 'em.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts