My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've attached a pic and just want to make sure I'm installing the new gator blades correctly on my JD LA145. Feel free to assist, but most of all.......poke fun.

Thanks everyone,

pfan

Attachments

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Nope, "fingers" on the blades go toward the deck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It was a 50/50 shot...don't buy a powerball ticket today ! and rest assured you are not the first nor the last to install them incorrectly....I have used gators in the past and really noticed no difference from other blades ,but they are one heavy duty blade ,so don't put your toes where they don't belong ....Jim

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
I've attached a pic and just want to make sure I'm installing the new gator blades correctly on my JD LA145. Feel free to assist, but most of all.......poke fun.

Thanks everyone,

pfan
I put one on upside down once, and it still mowed fine. :fing20: :duh: :00000060:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blades are installed. I am just waiting for the grass to grow, but that requires rain which is at a premium in NE WI right now. I can't wait to see how they work!!!!

One final question..........It took a lot of muscle to get the nuts off and I tried to get them as tight as I could........is it a huge deal that they are insanely snug??? I don't want to put a pipe on my socket to tighten something, I don't even like to do that to get nuts off.

Thanks,

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,553 Posts
You did flip them over right??

Some suggest taking the paint off around the star for a tighter fit..I did not..

You should have them tight enough, I use an impact wrench..

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
blades are installed. I am just waiting for the grass to grow, but that requires rain which is at a premium in NE WI right now. I can't wait to see how they work!!!!

One final question..........It took a lot of muscle to get the nuts off and I tried to get them as tight as I could........is it a huge deal that they are insanely snug??? I don't want to put a pipe on my socket to tighten something, I don't even like to do that to get nuts off.

Thanks,
I never do. Don't they naturally tighten each time the PTO is engaged? I wouldn't over do it.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

Thanks,
Who knows,there might even be some specs.As for me,using 1/2" drive,about two grunts will work.For some reason,the longer they stay in place,the harder they are to remove??On big decks,I use lowest setting on an impack.

·
16,490 Posts
Who knows,there might even be some specs.As for me,using 1/2" drive,about two grunts will work.For some reason,the longer they stay in place,the harder they are to remove??On big decks,I use lowest setting on an impack.
I use the same -1/2" breaker bar--and a couple good grunts--while actually 'pushing the end of the blade in the opposite direction"...
also--a couple dabs of never-seize on the bolt threads insure they will break loose....
Make sure everything is good/clean--and the cup washers are right direction..

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I use an electric impact for mine and also put never seize on the bolts. slkpk

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
No rain up north, eh? Sorry to hear that, down near Fond du Lac we have all we need - every few days at least. That's OK though, keeps the dust down near the edges of my property where the grass is poor.

It looks like your JD has the star hole set up like I had on my last Craftsman tractor (I actually like that better than what I have on my new Cub). I always R&R'd the blades using a wood block and my long 1/2" breaker bar - easy does it when installing the blade no need to really reef on it (keep the bolt threads clean & oiled). I also R&R'd the blade multiple times every season.

I had that tractor for six seasons and never had a problem with a loose blade or getting the blade off. I think that most problems stem from not taking the blades off, no lube or over tightening the bolt.

Hope you get some rain soon!

·
Registered
292 Posts
ive been having a prob keeping my blades tight after i mow about 2 times they are loose! I even put a couple extra grunts on em last time but got done cutting and was starting to get a vibration again so i parked it reached under and sure enough loose again weird i think im cursed or something lol

·
10K and Climbin!
12,270 Posts
ive been having a prob keeping my blades tight after i mow about 2 times they are loose! I even put a couple extra grunts on em last time but got done cutting and was starting to get a vibration again so i parked it reached under and sure enough loose again weird i think im cursed or something lol
I'm thinkin your bolts are "bottomed out"! Try a washer to give them a "lil grip"!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No rain up north, eh? Sorry to hear that, down near Fond du Lac we have all we need - every few days at least. That's OK though, keeps the dust down near the edges of my property where the grass is poor.

It looks like your JD has the star hole set up like I had on my last Craftsman tractor (I actually like that better than what I have on my new Cub). I always R&R'd the blades using a wood block and my long 1/2" breaker bar - easy does it when installing the blade no need to really reef on it (keep the bolt threads clean & oiled). I also R&R'd the blade multiple times every season.

I had that tractor for six seasons and never had a problem with a loose blade or getting the blade off. I think that most problems stem from not taking the blades off, no lube or over tightening the bolt.

Hope you get some rain soon!

The long range forecast is capital D -RY! I guess I'll be manning the sprinkler once a week to give it a real good soak. I've read that's best compared to daily or bi-daily watering. I think we should build a pipeline to get all the rain from SE WI and bring it up here.

One final question........with gators.......mulch plug in, or side discharge normal, or side discharge with cover held up to let clippings disperse??? What have you all had luck with?

Thanks,

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
One final question........with gators.......mulch plug in, or side discharge normal, or side discharge with cover held up to let clippings disperse??? What have you all had luck with?
I use a mulch plug with my gators on a 50" deck (3 blade). Works good for me. I do mow at a somewhat slow ground speed. Also I usually mow less than 1.5" of clippings each time.

Honestly I've not tried without the plug...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'll mow this afternoon and let you all know which method I prefer. I think having the chute up would help with the dispersion of clippings, but we will let the experiment be the judge.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
liked it best with the mulch plug in, still have some visual "clumps", but much more minimal. I am mowing at the #4 on my JD, I kinda wish I could go a tad higher......oh well. The gators did exactly what I hoped for --> smaller clippings!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts