My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Troy Bilt riding mower that I thought simply had a bad battery. However, I just replaced the battery and the problem persists. Here is the issue;

I charge the battery and the mower runs fine. After cutting the grass (appx 30 min) I turn the mower off to empty the bags. When I try to restart it 2 minutes later I get either the clicking sound you normally get with a bad battery, or it tries to start but just briefly. At this point the lights still work but I have to put the charger on for 5-7 minutes to get it restarted. Any ideas?

·
Registered
309 Posts
It sounds as though it's not charging or you have a bad connection somewhere and it's running on the voltage the battery has in it. If you have a multi meter check the voltage at the battery while running half throttle or more. You should see 13 or more volts if it's charging. If not you have other issues with the charging system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your reply. My battery is under my seat and the mower shuts off if there is no pressure on the seat. Is there a button or something I can press to keep the mower running with the seat up? I haven't seen on but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

·
Registered
309 Posts
There should be a set of wires under your seat going to a switch or such. Either way the tractor "should" start without sitting on the seat. The switch may be located down where the seat sets by the battery. In other words the seat has to come down and push on the switch with your weight. You will still need all the other safety's intact.You do not need the mower running for this test just the motor.!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you set the parking brake, you should be able to start and run the tractor without being in the seat. This will allow testing withe the unit running.

GLuck, Jay

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
Just a reminder, we are not allowed to post about how to disable a safety switch... There should be a way, without needing to do this, to keep the engine running without being on the seat.

·
1,883 Posts
There should be a way, without needing to do this, to keep the engine running without being on the seat.
Since it would amount to the same thing, I believe that for reasons of testing and diagnosis a temporary bypass is a viable solution here, but only if absolutely necessary.

Key word: TEMPORARY. Please make sure all safeties are returned to full working order before putting your Troy Bilt back into regular service.

Thank you.

:trink39:

·
21,418 Posts
With the PTO off, and the parking brake engaged, the engine should start and run without the operator in the seat.

There is no need to disconnect any safety switches. (MTF House Rules #5.)

For the problem at hand, check both ends of both battery cables for corrosion and tightness. I just had a reminder on my truck where the cable on the starter solenoid was only slightly loose resulting in a no start situation even though every thing else worked fine.

Note that the battery is necessary for starting the engine. It serves no purpose for running the engine. Ignition is by magneto, which is a separate and self contained electrical system independent of the battery and charging system.

·
Administrator
20,931 Posts
When the engine is running you can check voltage by using a multi-meter and touching the red probe to the battery side of the solenoid and the black one to the frame. No need to raise the seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you to everyone who has replied. Unfortunately, I have been out of town on a case but I will try your suggestions this weekend. Hopefully I can rectify the situation, if not I guess I will talk to you all soon.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,010 Posts
I just saw this thread and thought I'd comment. If the charging system is working properly, the charge is minimal. Keeping that in mind, the electric PTO takes a bit of power. If the charging system isn't supplying enough power, the PTO will take it from the battery. Also, I believe the Troybilt mowers have constant-on headlights. They are a draw, too. You can remove the bulbs for daytime mowing for relief from this draw, or better yet, splice in a switch so that you can turn them off when operating during the day. Your stator, or charging system will not put out much current unless operating at wide open throttle. Simply idling or running at 1/2 throttle won't put much power, if any, to the battery. After mowing, shut off the PTO and run the engine (again, at full throttle) for a few minutes ..... not just one or two, but more like five. If that doesn't clear up your problem, you either have a short in your system or the charger is simply not putting out or not putting out enough for your needs. The heaviest draw on your battery is starting the engine. A lot of people do multiple starts with very little run time. Keep that in mind! Good luck.

·
2,794 Posts
I know that you just replaced the battery, but I would still do a load test on it...if battery is good, as mentioned before in this thread, check every connection...take apart, clean and tighten down but good without breaking the screw or bolt...a couple posts up, Brad, who is one of the Moderators on this site has "solving the click problem"...this could possibly be your solution to install an assist relay......I have overcome this kind of problem in a number of machines (Mostly JDs) since I found out about it a year or 2 ago

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a Troy Bilt riding mower that I thought simply had a bad battery. However, I just replaced the battery and the problem persists. Here is the issue;

I charge the battery and the mower runs fine. After cutting the grass (appx 30 min) I turn the mower off to empty the bags. When I try to restart it 2 minutes later I get either the clicking sound you normally get with a bad battery, or it tries to start but just briefly. At this point the lights still work but I have to put the charger on for 5-7 minutes to get it restarted. Any ideas?
I had this issue with a v-twin Craftsman with a Briggs & Stratton engine. It turns out that for that one there was a ring (I believe it is called a stator) around the turning engine that acted as an alternator, with a wire coming out and a plug at the end. It had become unplugged. Fortunately it worked after plugging it in. The ring is fairly embedded in the engine, if I remember correctly, so rather difficult to replace. Apparently it is also quite reliable - as long as it's plugged in. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Since it would amount to the same thing, I believe that for reasons of testing and diagnosis a temporary bypass is a viable solution here, but only if absolutely necessary.

Key word: TEMPORARY. Please make sure all safeties are returned to full working order before putting your Troy Bilt back into regular service.

Thank you.

:trink39:
Heh. The first thing I do when I get a riding mower is disable the seat switch. Did it on my Bad Dog 60". But I'm not telling anybody how to do it. :)

I think that over the last 40 years I've disabled a hundred or so safety switches or similar devices. Who leaves the safety ring on the cap on their gas cans? :D

·
2,794 Posts
Kentucky jd although you have a long history of removing safety devices it is not a good practice. The way you talk about it ...it sounds like all were without incident, however there are some newer guys on here and some older members too, who might not be as lucky. Some safety devices and switches are a little inconvenient, however they are in place for a reason...some people do have to be protected from themselves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts