My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,172 Posts
Yes, thanks Al. You made getting them to their new home possible. I also enjoyed re-reading your eye fog bee post.

John, I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the wheels on whatever it is that you decide to put them on. The LS would be a hoot!

·
Gravely tractors user
7 Posts
I tried Uship 4 times, got only 1 good bid of $300 to move a 12G 400 miles. Uship offers no vetting of shippers, only reviews from users. Insurance is cheap but covers only major damages.

Fastenal did it right, has nice people to deal with and cost only $475 for 1250 miles shipping 2 large crates. Dunbar WV to Alvin Texas, estimated 1900 pounds in a 6' crate & a 8' crate. Insurance is included in price if crates have hard tops.
Shipped on Thursday, arrived Wednesday. Fastenal store to store only. Stores may have short fork forklift or may have fork extensions. Fastenal asked crate sizes and weights, knew we did not have accurate sizes or weights & did not care.
OK, that is all I know, presented in disorder. I was well satisfied by Fastenal service and by Fastenal people.

Sorry I can't offer a gravely holding point in texas till late this year.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
I tried Uship 4 times, got only 1 good bid of $300 to move a 12G 400 miles. Uship offers no vetting of shippers, only reviews from users. Insurance is cheap but covers only major damages.

Fastenal did it right, has nice people to deal with and cost only $475 for 1250 miles shipping 2 large crates. Dunbar WV to Alvin Texas, estimated 1900 pounds in a 6' crate & a 8' crate. Insurance is included in price if crates have hard tops.
Shipped on Thursday, arrived Wednesday. Fastenal store to store only. Stores may have short fork forklift or may have fork extensions. Fastenal asked crate sizes and weights, knew we did not have accurate sizes or weights & did not care.
OK, that is all I know, presented in disorder. I was well satisfied by Fastenal service and by Fastenal people.

Sorry I can't offer a gravely holding point in texas till late this year.
But it sounds like the items had to be crated prior to Fastenal picking them up and shipping them. Therein lays the problem: very few companies want to be bothered with crating or palletizing goods for shipment. Finding an LTL shipping company with good prices is the easy part.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
But it sounds like the items had to be crated prior to Fastenal picking them up and shipping them. Therein lays the problem: very few companies want to be bothered with crating or palletizing goods for shipment. Finding an LTL shipping company with good prices is the easy part.
I don't know of any shipping companies that will crate stuff for ya as well.... Some moving companies do it for household goods.... but, it ain't cheap, and won't ship single items. (they want a housefull.)

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
I don't know of any shipping companies that will crate stuff for ya as well.... Some moving companies do it for household goods.... but, it ain't cheap, and won't ship single items. (they want a housefull.)
A handful of years ago, I talked a couple of school districts out west into palletizing a few Gravely's for me. I even offered them additional money for their time and trouble--but no extra fee was charged. Nearly every municipal seller has stopped even considering that option, irrespective of what additional money is offered to them for the service. There are companies out there that will go in and perform this work (as you mentioned, household moving firms); but typically they're looking for a few hundred bucks for their time and trouble. That's a little bit beyond a reasonable expense, IMO.

·
Registered
147 Posts
but typically they're looking for a few hundred bucks for their time and trouble. That's a little bit beyond a reasonable expense, IMO.
well, remember, they are dispatching at least 1 person, and a truck, plus materials to a job site. doesn't matter if they only spend 15 mins there, they are still accruing all of that expense.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
well, remember, they are dispatching at least 1 person, and a truck, plus materials to a job site. doesn't matter if they only spend 15 mins there, they are still accruing all of that expense.
And I totally understand that. It's simply not a defensible expense for me--not for less than an hour's work. The appearance is that the job is more of an inconvenience for these companies than anything else...and it probably is. That's what made going direct-drive with the municipal seller's great: they usually had these supplies on-hand, and a guy already working in their maintenance area could do the job in 30 minutes. Quite likely, a department manager and/or municipal attorney put a stop to the practice because of employee time spent on these machine shipping preps that could be better spent elsewhere, and possibly due to liability. Either way, it made dealing with most sellers much more difficult.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Anybody out there in our great Gravely world, living in northern Virginia, within reasonable proximity to Mt. Airy? Looking at some Gravely equipment in that area, and wondering if anyone would have the means/ability to grab it and temporarily store it. Sending me a PM would work best - thanks!

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,809 Posts
The ultimate babysitting job: kudos to Tom (aka popcorn popper) for caring for a 408 from 2011 to 2017. I picked it up on the way to Brownsville in 2011 expecting to sell it there. When I couldn't take it home with me, Tom offered space in his garage. A whole lot of life happened and it wasn't until this past summer that the Mow-In returned to Brownsville and I had a chance to pick it up! A quick clean, jumpstart and it was running again. It sat alongside my first series 408 in the show shed. It is off to a new home.

I bought Tom's son's 408 and his parts tractor too, so here is all three in one trailer load. ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1505612440.548624.jpg

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Anybody out there in our great Gravely world, living in northern Virginia, within reasonable proximity to Mt. Airy? Looking at some Gravely equipment in that area, and wondering if anyone would have the means/ability to grab it and temporarily store it. Sending me a PM would work best - thanks!
PM sent

61 - 70 of 70 Posts